Is the JVC DR-M10 best for me?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Chewyjoint, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Chewyjoint

Chewyjoint
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would verymuch appreciate some advice.

I am about to enter the DVD recorder market and am trying to decide which model / brand to go for.

I'm sold on the DVD RAM format but would like the facility to also record onto either + or - R as well for flexibility.

I also need to be able to transfer video from my digital camcorder onto DVD + or - R disks, so am i right in thinking that a DVI connection is important for best quality?

The other main use will be to record from Sky box to DVD disks.

I had decided on the JVC DR-M10 at around £180 but then I read a review which says that it does not have an RGB input and the review seemed to imply that this is a bit of a disaster. What is an RGB input and should it concern me that it does not have one?

Help!!

2. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    RGB produces a cleaner picture - and whilst it's better for cartoons (like 'Finding Nemo'), i dont think it's all it's cracked up to be [awaits torrent of abuse]

'better' is a relative term, and if you're watching anything smaller than 32" you prolly wont even notice the difference

since you have sky you can decide for yourself:

make sure you have a scart from sky (TV connection)

make sure other end goes into AV1 (AUX1/RGB) of your TV

makes sure sky box is switched to output "RGB"

check out the picture - is it phenomenal?

switch sky box to "composite"

check out the picture - is it the abomination they describe?

that's the difference!

3. bladebeeter

bladebeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An easy way to switch between the two for comparison is to just push the TV button on the sky remote, for some reason it turns off the RGB push the sky button to re activate RGB. I agree there seems little difference on normal transmissions, the sky banner becomes a lot clearer but not the show itself. Again just my opinion I’m watching via a Panasonic 32" crt.

Im hiding behind the sofa now ready to dodge all the incoming abuse. lol