Is the JVC DLA-HD350 worth the money?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DannyBoy73, Jan 31, 2009.

1. DannyBoy73

DannyBoy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I'm having a moment of madness and considering going for the JVC DLA-HD350....

Its more than I can afford but I'm thinking I can just not eat for a month or two.... maybe sell a kidney or something.

Is it suitable as a living room projector or is it only really designed to be in a dedicated cinema room with no windows? I do have very thick curtains and can block out most light, but this is one of the reason's I'm not going for the HC7000.

Also, whats its relation to the DLA-RS10? Is that the US name or something?

Cheers

2. Big_Si_Owen

Big_Si_Owen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I'm not 100% sure but I have the HD1 and if that's anything to go by the 350 will be a thing of beauty indeed!!! :)

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The RS10 is indeed the US version of the HD350

4. DannyBoy73

DannyBoy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Awesome, cheers guys.

Anyone know what its brightness is like?

Cheers

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    I've been round this loop myself, even considering selling my AE3000 and upgrading, but I recently changed my screen and this has created a problem which you need to consider:

I previously had a Greywolf II screen with a gain of 1.8 that was quite directional. If I moved to the edge of the screen the brightness dropped noticably to the naked eye. This wasn't a problem viewing from my (central) sofa and it helped reduce reflections back from walls and ceiling, improving contrast. I wanted a 2.35:1 screen and I couldn't find any made with a grey surface with enough gain, so I deceided a white screen would be OK in my room as I have total light control and I even made a black 'tent' that goes round the three sides of the screen to block reflections close to the screen.

Although this new screen is beautifully flat and smooth, which now shows me details that I couldn't see before due to the rougher surface of the old screen, I can't now get the black levels I was accustomed to. If your room is anything like mine (white ceiling and light grey/cream walls) then a HD350 may well not look any better than my AE3000 in terms of contrast. You will need to spend as much time and effort in researching the best screen compromise for your room before you sell a kidney. ;)

As an example; if I hold up my hand in front of the screen (from my viewing position) which would simulate a PJ with 'perfect' blacks, the shadow still looks grey due to all the reflected light. This means that even if I bought a HD750 I probably wouldn't get any better blacks (apart from fade to black) than I do now. I really need to work on the room (with more removable black cloth,etc) so that I'm getting the best out of my AE3000, before I consider getting a HD350/750 myself, which gives me chance to save up (or them to appear on the secondhand market ;)).

That was a long and rambling answer wasn't it? :D

6. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    You will only realise its true potential in a dedicated theatre. In a typical living room set up you should look at the Sony HW10 at half the price. I declare an interest as an HW10 owner.
    The HD350 excels at a high native on/off contrast ratio not relying on a dynamic iris. Other than that, the HW10 has many attractive features such as an excellent quality lens, good colours out of the box with further adjustment potential, fine panel adjustment in 0.1 pixel steps, manual iris with 0-100 step adjustment and very quiet fan.
    The HW10 also has much higher ANSI contrast, which could be beneficial in a typical lounge.
    They both use the LCOS technology so I suggest you try and look at both before you decide, you could save yourself a lot of money. You may decide that the HD350 is worth the extra, but at least you will have seen them both and whichever you choose, you will know that you have made the right decision for you.

7. magicman72

magicman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Consider the Pioneer KRF-9000 which is basically a HD100 now at £2999 - Steve at TLC Broadcast offered some advice that he could not tell the difference between the 350 & the Pio.

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    Good advice re trying the Sony as it may well give most of the HD350 benefits in a less than ideal room, however the ANSI contrast is just the very issue I was talking about. In a dedicated theatre the black walls would prevent the light colours washing out the black parts of the image, in a lounge this won't happen, thus reducing ANSI contrast, so I doubt you would see the difference TBH.

That's a useful saving over the HD350, only lower resale (not that these things hold much value anyway) and the HD350's adjustable iris would put me off as I'd use a higher gain screen and close the iris down for better CR. You can open the iris as the lamp ages at the cost of the CR.

9. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    It really depends on what qualities you are looking for and your viewing room so if may be worth doing some research. For example if accurate colour performance is a requirement the HD350 (HD1 or HD100 plus clones) isn't great in this department. If you're using a room with light coloured walls, ceiling etc this will affect the PJ's overall performance due to light from the screen being reflected back thus reducing contrast in mixed dark/bright material even if there is no other light entering the room i.e. ambient light. Certain screen materials may help reduce this affect.

Personally I would do some research and then arrange a proper demo of the shortlisted PJ's. Some people are sensitive to aspects of the technology and this can cause issues such as motion smear/blur with LCOS that is used in the JVC. :)

AVI

10. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I measured about 14ftL in standard lamp mode and about 21ftL in high lamp mode on a 104" wide 16:9 screen.

11. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    That's impressive on a 104" wide screen. What gain is your screen?

12. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I've always assumed that the higher the ANSI contrast the better it can handle room reflections. Is this a misconception on my part?

13. DannyBoy73

DannyBoy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thats for all the info, but I decided the JVC wasn't the way to go for me... just got a AE3000 :thumbsup:

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    It might theoretically, but if the room is limiting ANSI to 50:1 (not as unlikely as it sounds from what I've seen in other threads about room treatments), then it's almost irrelevent. It takes quite a bit of a 'Batcave' to be able to get an in room ANSI even approaching 250:1, readings 'Manni's Batbin thread'.

You're in good company. :D

15. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I think we all have to accept that the room is effectively part of the whole projector performance package. Anyone not taking this on board is likely to be dissapointed.

16. iainl2005

iainl2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I demoed the HD350 against the Panny and to my eyes the JVC i not look 1.5k better, infact I thought the panny was sharper. Just save myself 1.5k very happy indeed:D

17. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Oh dear!:rolleyes: