Is the Ixus II (3.2mp) still a good camera ?

jonnyv

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I bought a canon ixus II a few years ago for a holiday in hong kong. Its been a great camera and been used on holidays etc.

Im going to Japan in a couple of months and im wondering if this camera is adequate for general scenery shots etc.

I like the size of the camera and the build quality.

old review here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd100/

thanks

From the looks of it, it can still take some good photos, but you would probably see an improvement if you got a newer camera. It depends how big you're planning on printing etc though, and what you normally photograph. Higher megapixel cameras tend to have more noise (grain) in low-light without a flash, for example.

I've got a Casio Exilim EX-Z750, which is very highly regarded, and is about the size of a credit card (thicker though, of course) with a 3x optical zoom, and from the looks of it, is about twice as quick as your camera for turning on and shot-to shot. (going by memory for the Z750 times though)

It's also got full manual controls, which most P&S cameras don't have, but that may not be of interest. (I only glanced at the SD100 review though)

Here's a comparison between DP Review's test images, with yours on the left:

sd100-crops.jpg
Casio_750_ISO50-crop.jpg

(note: they do seem to have changed the test a little since yours, so the difference maybe isn't quite so big in real life)

Andrew
I've had to break the links to the images you posted as it is against forum rules, rule 9 in this instance.

Use images from 3rd parties' websites without their permission.
Linking to an image on someone else's website without their permission is considered to be bandwidth theft. This is not a copyright issue but a bandwidth issue. We have had big problems with people linking to our images without permission and we don't allow members to do the same to other people.

Thanks for the reply, i think my camera should be good for what i use it for which is a few holiday snaps and no big enlargements.

Although if i can get a bargain 5-7mp camera i may be tempted

Zone said:
Andrew
I've had to break the links to the images you posted as it is against forum rules, rule 9 in this instance.

Use images from 3rd parties' websites without their permission.
Linking to an image on someone else's website without their permission is considered to be bandwidth theft. This is not a copyright issue but a bandwidth issue. We have had big problems with people linking to our images without permission and we don't allow members to do the same to other people.
Very sorry, I forgot about that.

Here's a link to the page: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioz750/page7.asp

jonnyv
I still use a Canon A75 which is also a 3.2mp/3x optical camera, very similar but not as cute as the Ixus so nothing special, fair do's it is usually just for nights out etc nowadays (or when I know I'm not really going to be wanting to lug lots of gear around with me :rolleyes: ) and the picture quality is, as it always has been superb, especially when printed up, I've even done 10x8's with it and they are great.

If you're are happy with the quality then that's all that matters :)

Thanks Zone, i have always been happy with the quality of the photos so i guess its good enough for me. I always like to upgrade when needed but i think its not needed right now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom