• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

is the HD subscription a must?

matt9713

Established Member
I'm looking at getting Sky as I'm moving house to a non-cabled area so cannot take my virgin services.

I'm looking at getting Sky HD as currently online the HD boxes are cheaper than the Sky+ boxes at the moment. Although I've got an HD TV, I'm not too fussed about subscribing to the £10pm HD content, although this is a must when you get it online.

Is there anthing to stop me cancelling the HD content after a couple of months to save me a tenner a month, or am I roped in for 12 months?

BrianMc

Established Member
Is there anthing to stop me cancelling the HD content after a couple of months to save me a tenner a month, or am I roped in for 12 months?
The HD Mix has a 12 month minimum.

If you want an HD STB not subject to the £10 fee you would need to pay more than £75 and buy one from elsewhere - eBay for example. Even then if you decide you like HD you might be tempted to signup for the HD Mix at some later time!

matt9713

Established Member
That's true. I'd rather get a box straight from Sky as quidco are offering £50 for new customers which nearly cancels out the inital outlay of the actual box.

It's just a bit annoying that I am destined to pay more a month for Sky than Virgin. With line rental, BB etc the whole package I'm looking at is £45 a month, and that's not with any of the premium channels.

Am I better ringing up to see if they will offer me a better deal, or is there no flexibility for pricing for new customers?

BrianMc

Established Member
Am I better ringing up to see if they will offer me a better deal, or is there no flexibility for pricing for new customers?
Sky pretty much eliminated incentives from their system last year. It does seem that they are back in a limited way - but only for retentions!

Virgin, on the other, hand seem pretty desperate to hang onto customers at any price - even if they make no profit from them!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom