Quantcast

Is the HD Reay logo simply not an issue for some?

Faust

Starburst said:
Profiler on Scifi (7pm screening).
My god it's awful at times both on my CRT and certainly on the LCD.
The blocking and pixillation during fast movement and certain effects (strobes, smoke etc) is truely a digital nightmare:)

No surprise since it oftens only requires 3% of a 40gig hard drive, 1.2 gig for an hour show is SVCD quality!
Not something I have ever watched. To be honest most of my viewing tends to be the normal five channels, plus Sky 1, Discovery type programmes, and the odd Sky Movie. I think a lot of you are probably younger than I and have been spoilt by colour television and todays technology. I grew up in an era of an 18" black and white t.v. and three channels. Perhaps now you can understand why I think Sky Digital broadcasts are the best thing since sliced bread.

richard plumb

Faust said:
Given that statement, should I go for LCD as in the Sharp PE50 or the Panasonic TH37PE50?

then go plasma. IMO plasmas give a great TV image, and are also good with DVDs.

I chose LCD as I wanted higher resolution for games and HD

Starburst

Novice Member
Faust said:
I grew up in an era of an 18" black and white t.v. and three channels. Perhaps now you can understand why I think Sky Digital broadcasts are the best thing since sliced bread.

I remember three channels but colour telly was around when I became aware of the square thing in the corner of the room although I do remember the wooden tops with spotty dog:)

blakey1

Novice Member
Faust said:
If I could be sure of receiving as good a picture on a 37" Panel be it Plasma or LCD, then it would not bother me if I never have HD - truly. I am more than impressed with my present Sky PQ. All these people that go on about blocky pictures on Sky or Freeview, I can honestly say I don't know what they are talking about as I have never seen a broadcast on any Sky channel that hasn't been 101% acceptable to either me or the rest of my family. We are forever commenting on how good the PQ is, so until HD comes as part of the package i.e. no extra cost, then I never intend to buy into it. Given that statement, should I go for LCD as in the Sharp PE50 or the Panasonic TH37PE50?
I'm planning on Buying the Sharp 37P50E. I saw it showing some football on Sky Sports in John Lewis and it was excellent. All the owners on this forum have suggested the picture quality is excellent to. I understand you will be able to get SKY HD on this set in the future and that it is unlikely to seem any different from a true HD set to the average viewer.

Faust

I would have bought the Sharp myself were it not for its looks. I just cannot live with that huge expanse of speaker at the bottom, it simply ruins the looks and makes the Sharp look clumsy

Starburst

Novice Member
blakey1 said:
I understand you will be able to get SKY HD on this set in the future and that it is unlikely to seem any different from a true HD set to the average viewer.

You are correct the panel will accept a HD signal but I would question the value of the investment in HD hardware/content when you only have a display capable of 960x540 well below even the baseline HD resolution.

The reason Sharp produced this panel was to minimise the issues created when scaling a PAL source to the native res of a panel, since it's closer to 720*576 the picture should look better than the common 852*480 res.
Feeding a HD source you will be losing the benefit this panel has over other non HD panels.

blakey1

Novice Member
Starburst said:
You are correct the panel will accept a HD signal but I would question the value of the investment in HD hardware/content when you only have a display capable of 960x540 well below even the baseline HD resolution.

The reason Sharp produced this panel was to minimise the issues created when scaling a PAL source to the native res of a panel, since it's closer to 720*576 the picture should look better than the common 852*480 res.
Feeding a HD source you will be losing the benefit this panel has over other non HD panels.
I do not know much about HD and resolutions and therefore do not doubt that it is likely that the SHarp will show a poorer HD picture than a true HD panel. The people who have seen the Sharp up against a true HD Set have suggested the difference is only noticeable from a few feet and therefore I cant really comment until a time comes when you can walk into a shop and watch Sky's HD service on 2 TV's side by Side. My point about the Sharp and HD was that if a time comes when Sky decide their services will only go out to HD users then the Sharp will be at least compatible if nothing else. Also it would seem based on people who have seen its HD content that the average Armchair viewer will struggle to tell the difference between it and a True HD set.

Back to the original point, I do not think a HD ready TV is important to a lot of people because hardly anyone has seen any real HD material. Therefore how can anyone know which the best HD tv to buy when it has not been tested against any SKY HD content. We all know how most LCD's, Plasmas show a nice DVD picture but a poor Sky picture. Who's to say that SKY's HD service will be any different. It seems that the people who went to the ideal Homes were not impressed. IS HD going to be as great as some think?

Top Bottom