Question Is the following speaker setup with Monitor Audio Radius 90, 270, 225 & 390 Subwoofer any good ?

letmeboogey

Hi Guys

I am about to upgrade my speaker setup to Monitor Audio Radius 90, 270, 225, and 390 subwoofer to be setup with a Marantz SR7013 amp. Is the speaker setup any good ? I would really appreciate any help

Gasp3621

Which system are you upgrading from? I assume you picked the Radius serie because the compact size and lifestyle look which can be ideal for smaller living room. What about the room, have you thought how you place the speakers as in no big compromises like tv in corner etc. ? If you can post some quick sketch of floorplan that would be nice.

As you spending more than 2k£ i would look all possible options and write them down. If possible do not buy blind anything! Listening speakers at dealers won´t cost you anything. Well time only.

If you live in UK looking at the price of SR7013, it´s dirty at 1500£! SR6013 is not much different from it and costs 850£! I think Denon X4500H would be also worth considering at 999£, basically almost same machine as SR7013. It makes no sense to pay much more for SR7013 than Denon. Even the SR6013 can be fine enough.

Radius 270 5.1 package costs alone 1850£, but bundle deal with X4500H = 2200£

Personally i would swap the package subwoofer to something better if you would go with Radiuses.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
The best way to fully enjoy and bring true life to the Radius system is to change the woofer to one with a high level input. A product like the Rel T5i subwoofer with the Radius 90 speaker will bring a level of musical and cinema experience that the 270's on there own with the standard radius subwoofer could never match. Using the 90's will mean they will be easier to marry together ensuring you gain a better sounding front end too. With this system you could get away with either the SR7013 or the SR6103 leaving you only to decide on which centre channel you wish to use whether it be the 200 or 225

N1ck

What do you mean by a 'high level input'. A subwoofer that can operate at higher frequencies and play more into the midrange?

gibbsy

You can get subs with two inputs. A low level one, LFE, which is a single cable from the receiver. This will allow the .1 LFE channel from 5.1 soundtracks to be played. It can also be used to reinforce bass when playing stereo from a receiver giving basically a 2.1 system. High level inputs are different. A triple cable is connected to the binding posts of the stereo speakers and then by a Neutrik connection to the high level input of the sub. This is best used for music. Sub manufacturer REL have a great reputation for high level inputs and music.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
This is best used for music. Sub manufacturer REL have a great reputation for high level inputs and music.
Cheers @gibbsy, I’ll also mention that that also includes any other stereo reproduction which means many TV broadcast benefit from this system too when using an AV receiver :)

Top Bottom