Is the following solarisation?

ste_d73

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just a quickie....my brother has a "Tiny 4200" Plasma. I've just seen solarisation mentioned on the forum and wonder if this describes the problem with this Tiny screen.

Basically the prob is this. Faces can sometimes look patchy,almost bleached, with uneven colour especially if someone turns their head quickly on screen. Also a combination of other effects such as a grey effect around faces and a slight RGB rainbow effect also around faces..

Most of the probs seem to be with faces as you can see..Why?

...Is this due to the screen being a low end model and if so is there a cure.
His TV picture is via sky on a scart....

Any help or clarification about these effects are much appreciated. :cool:

It's possibly due to overly aggressive noise reduction (It's called MPEG NR on my pioneer). Try turning it to low or off completely....although this may result in a more grainy appearance. If he's not got RGB enabled on his SKY then make sure that's on as it will generally improve the picture quality.

Some of the problems are quite possibly source related - ie. low bitrate channels on Sky. With a larger screen, artefacts of the compression will be easier to see.

For the other problems, turn down the sharpness control as much as possible. In theory, it should be at the lowest possible setting / off.

Also, get a copy of DVE or AVIA, and do your best to calibrate the contrast/brightness/colour. Remember that the contrast should be the LOWEST setting where white still looks white.

There may be some other adjustments you can make, but as I have never seen the Tiny plasma, I have no idea of what controls are available to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom