Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is the FMJ DV27A a good match with the AVR300 amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by woo88, May 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. woo88

woo88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all again.

Thanks for coming back to me on my previous thread. Following on from this, I think it's pretty clear that the FMJ DV27A is a superior bit of kit compared against the DV78 and DV79 for video and audio.

But, would the DV27A be compatible with the AVR300 amp? Are they a good match? The FMJ amps are out my price range.

Also, when was the DV27A released and why is it going for the reduced price (50% off!!)

Ta.

2. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have the 27A/AVR300 matchup and I'm generally very pleased with it. I have fairly small speakers (Linn Katans/Trikan, MartinLogan sub) and a small media room, and the AVR300's sizing and sound are basically perfect. I appreciate the biamping capability and generally find the featureset to be exactly right for my needs.

If I *had* to have a complaint, it would be with the 27A's bass management. Specifically, it really would have been nice to have had an extra set of full-signal two-channel analog output from the 27A. (I.e., full-signal regardless of the 27A's bass management config for 5.1 DVD-A. Exasperatingly, there are even two sets of L/R outs, but they both carry the same signal!) However, this is ultimately a nit as the 27A's bass management is useable for stereo, a necessity for DVD-A, and I'm using the AVR300's DSP via digital coax for film anyway.

Also -- I wish the 27A did SACD, but that issue has been addressed in lurid detail elsewhere in the forum so I'm not going into detail here. (And nothing Arcam has does SACD anyway, so if you're only looking at Arcam gear, fuggedaboudit.)

-Marc

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I think they dropped the price on the 27A when the dv29 came out. The rrp on the 29 is less than the original rrp on the 27a anyway which I guess is why the 27a dropped in price so much. I can assure you it's not because it's a bad machine.

I think you'll find the only reason dv27a owners would change machines was because they want HDMI. My pj doesn't accept HDMI and as I understand it the 27a does a better job than the 29 with prog scan output so I would change it for anything!

As far as your amp goes I'm sure the 27a will work nicely with it. If you were to upgrade the amp in the future then I dare say you would notce an improvement but that doesn't mean it's not worth buying a 27A to use with your AVR300 as it is. I've never listened to an AVR300 before but I'm quite sure you still hear the benefits of the 27a over the cheaper models in the Arcam ranges.

4. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    As far as I know the DV27A is no longer made by Arcam. It was discontinued when the DV29 was released. Overture in Banbury we selling the DV27 for £900 at this time (good buy :) ). (They must have bought out the remaining stock). Last time I checked their were none left.

If you want a DV27A then you will have to go second hand.

If you can find one - you will like it, the CD playback is good and the pictures are even better.

HTH

Dave