Is the Epson TW3200 still the best option?? and mounting idea's

nag1_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Im getting ready to order a projector in the next few days, just want to wait for the car to pass its MOT first! :)

I have been looking into my options and I think the Epson TW3200 is the best projector for us.

Situation:
Projector to be mounted in the living room
Dark Curtains
Light Walls
Throw - about 3.5m (from screen to front of projector)
Screen size - about 1.85m Horizontal.
Not interested in 3D
Normal TV is a 42" PH9 Pro pannel, this will be covered up by an MDF Solid Screen painted with the Black widow mix.
Surround sound amp and speakers are already in place. But I will need to by a HDMI splitter to output onto both displays.
This will be for weekend Film use only, and so will be set up when needed, and taken down when not.
Not sure I want to take the risk on DLP so willing to go for LCD.

What do you guys think? Is there anything else I have missed??
Are there any bargins out there at the minute? I think Pixmania is coming out cheepest at the minute at £787 + Delivery.

To mount the projector im thinking of a folding shelf. When not in use the shelf folds up and hide behind a canvas art work which is currently in already in possition. (art will be taken down when using the projector).
One problem I can see is getting the allignment correct everytime, when you sit the porjector on the shelf.
One solution I thought about was to screw a thin wodden plate to the bottom of the projector that stays with the projector. Then this wooden plate then sits onto the folding shelf. There could then be some alligment holes/bolts to lock the plate to the shelf and homefully keep the correct alligment.

While this is not ideal, I think it is the best comprimise I can come up with at this point!

Well as far as I am aware the 3200 is still the cheapest 1080p LCD machine out there and offers excellent value for money.Other than the DLP alternatives which as you say you don't want to risk for rainbow reasons it is your only and best option.

Going up in price to the TW5900 gets you 3D which you are not interested in but you loose lens shift which is a great feature to have.Try projector point though although they may be a few quid more I think the warranty will be better as Pixmania sell the euro version which I think has a shorter warranty so double check.

Regards the alignment with lens shift it will take 20/30 seconds max to redo the alignment each time you use it so I would not be concerned about it.

Cheers for the input, looks like I am thinking on about the right lines.

Good point on the warranty, I will have a look around for a good UK deal.

Cheers

I have placed the order today from Projector point. Looks like it might get here tommorrow! :)

Just need it to stop raining so I get pickup some MDF for my screen!

One solution I thought about was to screw a thin wodden plate to the bottom of the projector that stays with the projector. Then this wooden plate then sits onto the folding shelf. There could then be some alligment holes/bolts to lock the plate to the shelf and homefully keep the correct alligment.

How about getting some washers which are just large enough for the feet of the projector to drop into and then glue those in position on the shelf. Then every time you place the projector you put the feet in the two holes and you should have the same alignment every time.

How about getting some washers which are just large enough for the feet of the projector to drop into and then glue those in position on the shelf. Then every time you place the projector you put the feet in the two holes and you should have the same alignment every time.

Thats not a bad idea! I had thought about drilling into the shelf for the same effect, but the washers are even easier!

I go the shelf up last night and it works well. Just need to find time to sort the screen out now! Hopefully monday night I guess.

Hi. I am thinking of the same idea with a folding shelf. Did you buy the shelf from somewhere or did you make it yourself?

Thanks.
Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom