1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the Epson EMP-TW10H NTSC comptable ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ewan, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Sorry to start a new thread. Just wondering if the Epson EMP-TW10H projector is NTSC comptable :confused:

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Yes it is - in fact with its WVGA resolution (854x480), it's probably better suited for NTSC than it is for PAL!

3. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is still noticable that there are less lines on an NTSC picture though. ;)

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Highly debatable on a WVGA (854x480) panel though - higher res panel, then of course, you are right!

A PAL DVD has more "lines", 576 as opposed to 480, but if the display panel only has 480, then it may be something of a moot point (in fact if the scaler which descales PAL to 480 "lines" (to fit on the screen) is a bit crap, then NTSC may look better). Either way, on a 480 "line" panel, neither picture can have more than 480 "lines"

5. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

6. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike, I see your point but after watching a few NTSC films on my pj, there is definately a slight difference in the two formats.

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Rich

That could be many things though - could be the DVD player, the discs themselves (how they were transferred and what from) or of course the PJ itself.

I prefer PAL overall myself too (all things being equal), but I accept that there are some DVDs which have a better NTSC version available!
    For film, NTSC may have a higher available bitrate for the MPEG2 process, and this can be a factor in final subjective quality too (ie the PAL version may be higher res, but might suffer more MPEG artefacts, especially if they've overpacked the disc with too much stuff), and NTSC DVDs usually have a higher bitrate Dolby Digital track too, and sometimes feature DTS where the PAL version doesn't (although I accept that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with picture quality :) :) )

Also, and while it doesn't particularly bother me, PAL DVDs are usually speeded up by 4% from what they were in the cinema - and this definitely does bother some movie buffs. Then there's aspect ratios - not all versions of each format are anamorphic (and in some cases neither are) - sometimes it's NTSC which is, while PAL isn't and sometimes it's the other way.

The debate over NTSC vs PAL could go on forever though.......but IMO it's all down to what we feel looks best to us at the end of the day. If you feel NTSC is visibly worse than PAL on your PJ, then at the end of the day, I can't really argue with that, and wouldn't really want to!

8. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mike,

What you say is all right of course, but having deliberately watched and NTSC DVD tonight just to check, I think it was all in my head. The picture was actually very good and suprised me. It was a film I had already seen (Man on Fire) but like I said, it was great and the memory must have been warped by my expectation that NTSC should be less clear (that comes from watching so many R1 discs on my old 28" CRT TV).

So, in answer to the original question, does the TW10H support NTSC, the answer is a resounding yes!

9. Dear Mr Echo

Dear Mr Echo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would say generally that NTSC looks better than PAL on this projector. Can't quite put my finger on what it is but I find the picture more pleasing with NTSC discs.

Andrew

10. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would make sense. Like it was said before, this pj's native resolution of that of NTSC so there is down-converting done on a PAL image. Lots of R1 purchases for me from now on. :)

11. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    But you will one day upgrade from this projector! :) :) :)