Question Is the end of DVD/blu-ray players upon us?

I have a few Maplin disk cases. Each one measures 45cmx30cmx19cm, and holds 500 disks. When I buy a new disk I scan my phone over the barcode on the box, put the disk in a Maplin case, and chuck the empty disk box into a cardboard box, which gets taped shut and put into the loft with all the others once it's full. The barcode scans all the details about the movie into the 'My Movies' app.

The app sits on my phone, tablet and PC, so any device that's at hand can be passed around for people to peruse the 'movie wall' and all of the information the app contains. You can use filters to flick through categories such as English/foreign langauge, watched/ not watched, etc. People can take their time browsing and, once we've decided on a movie or three, I go and get them from the Maplin box. Sometimes people just like to look through the collection on the app out of interest, when we're listening to music or whatever - ordering the movies by year, or by director, for example. It's like an interactive movie encylopedia.

I find all this very cost effective and convenient, and I don't have to learn any new skills to do with ripping. Maybe one day I will rip my collection, maybe not, but I'm very happy with my system for now.

Quite true. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. How about I plead insanity instead? :D

Coming back to ripping, here are two examples that I find confusing.
1) I have the Region B BR disc Riddick. There are two options for playback — Theatrical release, or Directors cut. Audio is DTS-MA 5.1. I want English subtitles which I might need when my hearing gets really bad (it’s not good now).
2) I have a region 3 copy of the Korean film A Bittersweet Life, Director’s Cut. I want to preserve the Korean language track but also need English sub-titles. For audio there’s both Dolby 5.1 and DTS-ES.

In both examples, I have no interest in extras. If I use the discs, then I have full access to the disc menus so I can pick what I need. When I rip something, are menus preserved? What about audio and sub-titles? What does one use to play stuff that’s ripped? The list goes on, which is why, personally, a dedicated thread would help me, and certainly other newbies too.

You can keep the menus and extras, however most people don't as there's a very limited number of devices that can play the menus due to legal issues.

You have a few choices when ripping a disc. The first is what format you want it. Most people rip a disc to an MKV file, there are other options, but this is the most common. This can then contain a single version of the movie, multiple language tracks and multiple subtitle tracks. So in your case with Riddick, you'd have to have two copies of the movie, one theatrical and one Directors Cut. I usually just decide what cut I prefer and don't bother with the other one. For example I prefer the Theatrical Cut of Alien and the DC of Aliens. I only have one copy of each and don't bother with the other.

When it comes to the audio and subtitles, you get to choose which audio tracks and subtitle tracks you keep as well when you rip the disc. I need subs for everything, but not all the time, but I hate the subs on discs, they're huge and take up too much of the screen. I use Kodi as playback software on a Media streamer and it has apps you can download for many different things, I use a subtitle search app which gets me multiple subtitle sites I can find subtitles on. These are a different format of subtitle and can be as large or small as I want them, adjusted within Kodi. They can also be positioned where I want them so if it's a widescreen movie, they're in the black bars, rather than in the movie frame.

It's not that complicated once you get used to it, it takes a bit of learning to get going though.

Who else expects this thread to outlast Blu-ray players?

I have a few Maplin disk cases. Each one measures 45cmx30cmx19cm, and holds 500 disks. When I buy a new disk I scan my phone over the barcode on the box, put the disk in a Maplin case, and chuck the empty disk box into a cardboard box, which gets taped shut and put into the loft with all the others once it's full. The barcode scans all the details about the movie into the 'My Movies' app.

The app sits on my phone, tablet and PC, so any device that's at hand can be passed around for people to peruse the 'movie wall' and all of the information the app contains. You can use filters to flick through categories such as English/foreign langauge, watched/ not watched, etc. People can take their time browsing and, once we've decided on a movie or three, I go and get them from the Maplin box. Sometimes people just like to look through the collection on the app out of interest, when we're listening to music or whatever - ordering the movies by year, or by director, for example. It's like an interactive movie encylopedia.

I find all this very cost effective and convenient, and I don't have to learn any new skills to do with ripping. Maybe one day I will rip my collection, maybe not, but I'm very happy with my system for now.

that’s interesting, I take it those Maplins cases are no longer available?.

I do hope they release some new machines and continue to supply discs and given the number of DVDs still sold, I don’t think this will change just reduce. Maybe a sign of my age and years walking the shelves of Blockbuster, but I like looking for a disc, I have a shelf of new unwatched discs and the rest in alphabetical order, I have moved all my DVDs into the loft, no point in selling as they are worth so little but hoping to keep and use my 2k and 4K discs for some time. I wonder what bandwidth would be required to manage 8K to be streamed successfully?

Whether it is illegal or not, ripping my dvd / BR collection? No way. Life is too short to worry about such things and for the time and effort needed. I take the same view over the future availability of hardware to play them. I have embraced progress and have largely moved onto buying films via Apple and supplemented by Netflix/Prime. So what if I have a disc copy sitting in a cupboard a mere 6 feet away when I can watch it in HD/ 4k HDR at the press of a couple of buttons without lifting my derrière.

I don’t want to go that route either, but I think that we’re on borrowed time. Argos seems to be busy selling off its player stock. The Panasonic UB450 was up for grabs on its website fir £139 yesterday, £60 below list. Is that a new Argos policy, or an end of line clearance sale?

is it the Blu-ray.com my movies app your using ?. I see there’s another one but it seems like you have to keep paying when there’s a new update or you go over a certain number of adding discs.

I use the Blu-ray.com app. Not compared it to any other apps but it works well for me.

Like dazed&confused, I keep the discs themselves close to hand (in Hama storage binders) and pack away the cases.

is it the Blu-ray.com my movies app your using ?. I see there’s another one but it seems like you have to keep paying when there’s a new update or you go over a certain number of adding discs.

This is the one I have, but I'm still on version 2 -

You do have to pay if you want the update but I think its usually offered at a discount price to people who already have a previous version, if you do not update then your own version will not stop working, and there is no disk limit. I haven't compared it to other products - I imagine there are plenty available.

Here is an example of a case that is very similar to the Maplin one, but twice as much money. I'm sure you'd find a cheaper one if you searched hard enough -

Amazon product ASIN B00837SQ3K

This is the one I have, but I'm still on version 2 -

You do have to pay if you want the update but I think its usually offered at a discount price to people who already have a previous version, if you do not update then your own version will not stop working, and there is no disk limit. I haven't compared it to other products - I imagine there are plenty available.

Here is an example of a case that is very similar to the Maplin one, but twice as much money. I'm sure you'd find a cheaper one if you searched hard enough -

Amazon product ASIN B00837SQ3K

thanks, the thing that worries me is the storage of the physical discs and how long it would take to find it once you have decided on the movie you want to watch.

I use the Blu-ray.com app. Not compared it to any other apps but it works well for me.

Like dazed&confused, I keep the discs themselves close to hand (in Hama storage binders) and pack away the cases.

thanks. Is there a limit to the amount of discs allowed to be stored on Blu-ray.com ?

thanks. Is there a limit to the amount of discs allowed to be stored on Blu-ray.com ?

Not as far as I am aware. Just had a look on the App Store and there’s no mention of a limit.

You can also use the app to catalogue DVDs, digital films (iTunes, Prime etc) and video games.

Not as far as I am aware. Just had a look on the App Store and there’s no mention of a limit.

You can also use the app to catalogue DVDs, digital films (iTunes, Prime etc) and video games.
Thanks, I’m going to use it to catalogue my collection, it’s simple scanning the barcodes.

I have 828 disc's on the Blu Ray.com catalogue, I have not seen that there is any limit. I think that it's a great resource and it's free, WOW, what more could you ask for. :thumbsup:

So.... Isn't the software to rip the disks illegal? I was under the impression that anything that defeats copy protection is illegal, although I could be wrong. Hence why I can't really be bothered messing with software when I have the disk. Will be a sad day when I can't get disks.

Well I hope it's not the end of DVD, 'cos I haven't even bought one yet. Still on VHS, or would be if we had a tele to watch them. I do have a Humax PVR brand new which I'm sure will be useful one day.

I'm not by nature an early adopter where technology is concerned. My first CD player was bought in 92, and I'm still using it and still buying CDs.

Currently I'm preparing to transfer my 78s and LPs to cassette, which leads to the problem of cassette players. My Sansui SC1330 is only forty years old but nothing lasts forever.

I do think it a good idea to back up one's media wherever possible, in the same way that you no doubt do with your photos. After all, if the house burned, you could lose the lot.

What I really need is a bigger house, as AV has been an unforeseen casualty of a downsize. One needs space for the kit, and perhaps a room to listen to stuff that OH isn't keen on.

Things are never ideal.

I have 828 disc's on the Blu Ray.com catalogue, I have not seen that there is any limit. I think that it's a great resource and it's free, WOW, what more could you ask for. :thumbsup:
Sounds good!, is it possible to catalogue discs in alphabetical order or would I need to scan the codes starting with A ?.
thanks.

Sounds good!, is it possible to catalogue discs in alphabetical order or would I need to scan the codes starting with A ?.
thanks.

Hi mate, it doesn't matter what order they are added as it's possible to sort and filter. I use it for digital stuff but I will add my disks eventually, just finding the time. It's a great app imo

This is how u can sort

Screenshot_20200816_073355_com.bluray.android.mymovies.jpg

I just bought my first PC blu-ray player for this purpose, secondhand as it's not worth the cost of new to me, and then I've realised it doesn't support 4k :(

Hi mate, it doesn't matter what order they are added as it's possible to sort and filter. I use it for digital stuff but I will add my disks eventually, just finding the time. It's a great app imo

This is how u can sort

View attachment 1350414
Cheers, I can’t see alphabetical on the list of options ?, or am I being dum lol

this is exactly how I used to manage my collection. I decided to put all of my collection into a NAS after seeing a kaleidascape in action and just loved the whole movie wall/ease of action.

I knew time would be my biggest challenge, so finally pulled the trigger at the start of lockdown when we had nothing else to do.

Great decision in the end, now I’m digital I pretty much refuse to use my UHD player, just stick a disc into my NASrip, 30 minutes later it’s saved and viewable on my 3 players through the house, no other action required.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom