Is the Earth's magnetic field changing ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ma6235, May 8, 2003.

1. ma6235

ma6235

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony KV28FX65 has a picture rotation adjustment to allow you to adjust the angle of the picture in the screen if it has been pulled out of true by the Earth's magnetic field. It's been set at -3 since we purchased it 16 months ago. In the last few weeks I've had to re-adjust several times, hence my title question ! I've also noticed occasionally after several hours of viewing a purple hue at the bottom of the picture which dissapears after the set is switched off overnight. The set has been fault free until now. Any comments anyone ?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Earths magnetic field is constantly changes and actually reverses every few thousand years as for your TV I have no idea!

3. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the "purple hue at the bottom of the picture" could be due to a non-sheilded speaker close to the screen

adi

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    The problems you are experiencing are due to the fact that colour CRTs are intrinsically unstable devices and not as flawless as some LCD and Plasma-bashers would have us believe. It is most likely that the internal electronics are drifting. Unless, of course, you have been placing loudspeakers or other local sources of magnetism nearby.

All types of TV have some shortcomings, whether CRT, LCD or Plasma. They differ in exactly what those shortcomings are, and colour staining, poor geometry, stability, sensitivity to external magnetism, are, unfortunately, typical of CRTs.

5. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    I read recently that some scientists believe our magnetic poles are about to reverse, does that mean us CRT owners will have to turn our TV's upside down?

mij

6. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    no just trun it 180degrees:p

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    The earth magnetic field IS changing all the time, actually at the moment it is changing quite fast. Depending where you are in the world you will also need a different value. This is quite normal.