1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the DS getting left behind?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Tetlee, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,431
    Is it only me that's completely dissapointed the the DS release schedule so far. I've always been a fan of Nintendo and was eager to get a DS on release, but where are the standout games?

So far only Zoo Keeper & Meteo's have managed to grip me for more than a few days(Nintendogs was fun for a couple of days) with most DS games I've bought being resold within a week :rolleyes:

Considering the DS was released ahead of the PSP it is kind of surprising the lack of any must have DS titles even on pre-release. The PSP has loads of great games already with loads more set for release before crimble. Meantime my DS is sitting collecting dust with no signs of a revival :(

Personally I'm only looking forward to MarioKart & maybe the new Mario game(can't remember title). God knows what happened to Vandal Hearts DS, seems to have been abandoned :mad:

So what are your opinions & what DS games are you getting excited about?

Maybe someone can remind me of a forgotten reason why not to sell my DS.

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I would have sold my ds by now if my missus wasn't so engrossed in nintendogs.

Zoo Tycoon DS is coming out for her birthday, and I will be getting her Animal Crossing DS for xmas. Funny to think that she bought the DS for MY birthday! :rolleyes: :D

3. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,431
    Maybe you should ask for a refund ;) Actually the ladies seem to be more happy with the DS games than us blokes, my girlfriend moans if I mention selling mine as she'd miss playing two player Meteo's

4. thefantasticmrh

thefantasticmrh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    WiFi will change the way the DS is played on. If the Nintendo online service works well I can see it being very appealing to buy those games that feature online play.I can't wait to play Mario Kart DS online.

Compatability with wireless routers and whether or not Nintendo negotiates access to hotspots are other things which could decide whether or not the DS has a long future ahead of it, or whether it'll be filling preowned shelves early in the new year.

5. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is always worth owning both the DS and PSP. Like the GC vs XBOX/PS2 there will always be games on the nintendo format which any gamer simply must buy or have exposure to e.g the Mario series, the Zelda series, Advance Wars series, Metroid Prime Series and Castlevania series etc.

The DS was always going to lose out in general to the PSP but with its touch screen if offers new dimensions to gaming for some games something which the PSP will never be able to do. Kirby on the DS for example of a game that is different and very fun as a result.

The DS can be had for approx 50 pounds second hand so is very cheap, considering the PSP 180 pounds price tag or 230pounds if you got hit by customs like me. As a result there is no excuse not to own a DS as 50 quid is nothing in gaming.

6. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,431
    I totally agree with your point about owning all consoles, I had Xbox, Cube, PS2, PSP, DS, and an Ngage(still has some great games) although I've now sold my Xbox ready for 360 funds.

I too thought owning the PSP and the DS was the only way to go, just feel dissapointed about the DS games so far. Was hoping the DS would build on some of the classic GBA titles, especially some tactics games like Final Fantasy Tactics & Tactics Ogre, they could work a dream with touchscreen.

Also be interested to see how the Wi-Fi multiplayer works out, the idea of MaioKart online is the best prospect for the DS for me right now, shame they dropped the online battle mode though.

Anyway, I'll be trying MarioKart before thinking about selling my DS so should see some of you online.

7. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yea the Ds could do with some more big games really but i have a psp aswell and i dunno but theres nothing i see myself as brilliant on the psp either best game is maybe everybodys golf but thats all that i bother playing myself.
    Though Gta and pro evo should be really good for psp :clap: im also going to get Castlevania on Ds aswell as i liked the previous games.

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Nintendo of Europe have been awful getting the games out over here, they're bloody useless which Is why I import most of my games

Not sure about you lot but I have quite a few games now;

Mario 64 DS
    Zookeeper
    Castlevania DS
    Kirby's Magica Paintbrush
    Nintendogs
    Yoshi's Touch & Go
    Advance Wars DS

I'm a very happy gamer :)

9. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    What crispy said is exactly why ds will fail in europe. In japan ds outsell psp and thats reflected by the quality of software releases. here we get treated like rich idiots ready to be fleeced. (its the same with all but the xbox really).

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Maybe in the UK it wont fair as well but it should do fine in the other Euro countries, there is a reat line-up of games coming out over the next few months;

Advance Wars (out now)
    Castlevania (out now)
    Nintendogs
    Mario Kart
    Ultimate Spiderman
    Kirbys
    Sonic Rush
    Metroid hunters
    Zoo Tycoon
    Tony Harks Sk8tland

So don't panic :)

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    True:

Example: Wario Ware Twisted (GBA) is released this month in UK. One year after Oct '04 Jap release, and 5 months after USA. It predates Yoshi Gravitation whatever its called on DS which came out in UK before it!

Nintendo UK need to sort itself out

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Do you really imagine the ds working well online? Nintendo have zero pedigree when it comes to online gaming. They couldn't even get their arse in gear with the gamecube. The broadband modem for the NGC was released in stealth mode for heavens sake! :suicide:

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    They have been testing and creating there online presence for years, even the SNES had satelleview whilst it never took because of techolical reasons this is were it started, I'm sure they know exactly what they're doing but I just wish they'd tell us more about as the service starts in 4 weeks

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Great, now Wario Ware Twisted has been delayed. Given the US got it in May, even a small company like Nintendo could translate it into x european languages?

It can't be technical problems, so whats the excuse? They've had enough time to get stock in

Whats this gotta do with the thread? Its now plain to see the scant UK DS release scedule won't change, since Nintendo UK can't even bring out a year old game on time

15. breakersrevenge

breakersrevenge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    We have had PSP's and a DS's, our little ebay business imported them both, I would say the interest in the DS is way behind. My son (aged 7) has not touched his DS for ages.

Was going to import the Gameboy Micro but decided not to, too gimicky and way too small, my son played on his for a day and went staight back to the PSP!!

16. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You guys know that another Secret of Mana game is bound for the DS don't you? :D

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,969
    Can't say that there's anything (apart from multiplayer mariokart - although mainly battle mode which they axed!) that would tempt me to buy a DS. The two screens have proved to just be a gimmick and are generally just used for map/item screens or other views. The touch screen again has just been a gimmick IMO and hasn't really added much to the gaming experience.

Personally I love my PSP and have it stuffed with emulators and games like Doom and Quake. I'm currently playing through Zelda - A link to the past again and loving that. Then when I want some current gen gaming quality I can just stick in the likes of Lumines, Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Burnout Legends and shortly PES5 and GTA! Not only that but i've got a few episodes of the Simpsons on there and loads of music. You just can't beat it IMO!

18. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just import it from videogamesplus.

Most of my DS games are imported US games. Not only do I get them well before the UK, but, at an average price of around £20 per game, they're a lot cheaper as well.

Another side benefit, for me, is that with US games, you don't have to go through the bother of selecting what language you want to play the game in every time you start it!

19. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, you obviously haven't played games like WarioWare Touched, ZooKeeper, Feel The Magic, and Nintendogs. Games like these add a totally new dimension to handheld gaming and wouldn't be playable without the touch screen.

Then there's Trauma Center, just being released in the States, where you use the touch screen and stylus to perform operations on people. Again, how would you be able to do this easily on a PSP or any other console????

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    So the DS has been out about a year (inc Jap), and only 4 or so games actually make 2 screens work and feel innovative?

If this is a sign of things to come, the only decent use of the Revolution controller may be Nintendo games

21. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    NO! Of course there's more than 4 games that make 2 screens work and feel innovative. I only mentioned the four games, being games that I've got, but there are plenty of others out there which, quite frankly I can't be bothered to mention, although I would also add Tiger Woods (which I've also got) which uses the touch screen for the swing, and makes it stand out from the usual '3 presses of a button' method.

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,969
    Why would I want to play games like WarioWare Touched and Zoo Keeper?? They look like something that you would get on a V-Tech console :D . Maybe if I was 5 the idea of swapping animals around in the Zoo may entertain me but at 31 I prefer my games with a bit more depth to be honest. I also own two real dogs which I run about with on a real field so why on Gods earth would I wish to play a game where I pretend to own some dogs :rolleyes: . I want to be able to do things in games that I can't do in real life - i.e. fly space craft, race expensive hi performance cars around, take England to world cup glory etc. I don't want to sit in my armchair stroking digital dogs with my stylus :D :rotfl: .

There are some decent games on the DS - Advance Wars & Mario Kart (when it comes out) but most of the games simply do not appeal at all.

23. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,431
    Agree with CAS. I'll be keeping my DS to put MarioKart through its online paces before deciding the fate of my DS. TBH the DS is already my biggest concern when thinking about the Revolution. Was hoping to see alot more active quality releases this far after release, getting a bit like the Cube, classics are their but too few & far between. Even the GBA seems to be getting better games released(yes I know we can play them on the DS but it wouldn't appeal to me holding something like the DS when there's only need for one screen). I'd have liked to have at least seen Enemy Unknown on the DS, waste of a great series to only release on GBA :(

The PSP had sooo much more going for it now, it didn't have to be this way if Nintendo got their fingers out. It's becoming much more a one horse race than I was expecting & I for one am pretty gutted about that fact.

24. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have you actually played these? There's more to games than just graphics.

I must admit that I wasn't really interest in Zoo Keeper when it first came out, but, having heard some favourable reviews and then seeing it for £15, I thought I'd give it a go.

It's not the sort of game you'd spend hours playing, but then again at 42 with a wife, 2 young kids and a full-time job, I don't have hours to play!!!! However, it's great for the odd 30 minute slot. My wife and I usually play the time trial mode and, I hate to admit it, but she's a lot better than me!

Yes, the graphics are c**p, and the music is even worse (fortunately you can turn it off), but for shear playability and the 'one more go to beat my high score' factor, it's superb.

OK, so it hasn't got much 'depth', but then again, if you want games with depth, you buy a PC or console, not a handheld.

I do have to agreed, however, that the UK seems to have been forgotten as far as the release schedule goes, and that's bad news for your 'Joe average' who just buys his games in the high street. But with the DS being region free, and, as I've already said, with importing being cheaper and easy to do on the web, it's not been a problem for me.

25. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Just me or is the shelf space already dwindling for DS, while the much publicised PSP is getting much more shelf space?

Looks like home console situ is transferring to portables. The problem is, after about 25 PSP games since Sept 1st, the DS isn't getting many that diverts the eye away from the PSP

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,969
    I played WarioWare Touched in a shop for a bit and it just seemed like a collection of cheap throw away games that you would generally download for free on a PC. I certainly wouldn't pay my hard earned for it.

I know what you say in that graphics aren't everything but I disagree that you can only play deeper games on a PC or console and that you must be limited to mini games & puzzle games for handhelds. You can still pic up deep games, give then a quick bash, save them and then come back to them later.

Also there are plenty of great arcadey games on the PSP that you can just have a quick bash on like Lumines, Ridge Racer, Everybody's Golf, Darkstalkers, Wipeout, Burnout Legends, Virtua Tennis etc... Whilst on the whole they have a lot of content, you can also just put them on for a quick bash!

When you also consider that you can cram your PSP full of emulators and other homebrew games then you can have access to all the best SNES, MD, AMIGA, GBA, MAME, NES etc. games as well!

27. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    But by the time you've actually got the game started it defeats the object! :D I've recently got myself a PSP with Ridge Racer, Everybody's Golf, Wipeout, Medievil and World Tour Soccer. As technically impressive as the machine is, it still feels quite fragile. I don't feel I can just throw it around like my GB, GBA etc.

One game I do need to put on my list though is Virtua Tennis. Had a go on this the other day and it brought fond memories of it on the DC. It seems a near perfect conversion and plays like a dream. A pure pick-up-and-play game if ever there was one!

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,969
    See I really don't get this point. Games take around 15 - 30 seconds to load up - Instantly if the machine is on standby (you can put it on stand by mid game if you are going to be off and on it and you are instantly back in the game when you turn it back on).

In response to your other point - why would you want to throw it around?? I agree that the covers at the back move about a bit but apart from that it's well built.

29. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Loading times feel longer than 30 seconds, especially once you get through all the menus etc. The sleep function is good but I often change games quite often.

Regarding the other point, I wasn't talking about throwing it around literally, my point was that it just doesn't seem very robust. I feel as if I'd worry about something cracking (especially that screen) if I had it in my bag. Maybe I feel this way cos its new…

30. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Loading times - what are they? Ah yes, I seem to remember having to wait ages for games to load up. Would have thought this was a thing of the past. Don't have this problem with my DS :devil: