1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Denon DM31 good enough as your main source for music?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Devil On Your S, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    The Denon DM31 seems to have been universally praised to the hilt on this board, but everyone who has praised it has mentioned it is good for "the kitchen" or "the bedroom". I currently listen to music from my iriver which is connected through an optical connection to my surround sound amp. I've read all about a dedicated amp/cd player is better quality for music than listening through an av setup and the Denon DM31 seems to be superb quality, but is it good enough for the main source of music, not as a kind of "background music" centre?

2. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I do have a DM31, and have indeed sung its praises here: rightly so, as I have spent close to a few grand on seperates (NAD, Rotel, Arcam) over the past ten years or so. I suspect you'd find that, for music in stereo, the DM31 paired with a decent pair of speakers would musically surpass your iRiver/home theatre amp.

The reason that people buy one for the bedroom (especially as the DM31 has a timer and could be used as an alarm clock!) and kitchen is due to it's (lack of) size: they've already got decent systems and don't want to make serious sacrifices for secondary systems elsewhere in the house. TEAC systems also come in for praise, but the DM31's only real might be the Linn Classik - at several times its price.

For £185, I would be very, very surprised if you were genuinely disappointed with the DM31.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Devil Ive had a DM31 in my living room and I could easily live with it, the main thing would be getting an active sub woofer to run off the sprinclips speaker terminals IMHO. If that is possible then I see no reason why it could not be used as a main source, I used it with my Castle Richmonds, excellent, also used a DVD-V player fed into it for AV use - stunning. Great device, next step up honestly is a Linn Classik - another stunning device, but DM31 - £185 v Classik £800, its a bit unfair.

All I know is that I could live with a DM31 if I needed too.

OPMMV.

4. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just connect a sub to the DM31's subwoofer pre out on the back, surely?!

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Engaged, the DM31 has a single LFE /subwoofer RCA putput on the back like many AV Int. Amps, not too sure how this would compare to running off a pair of pre-outs to a subs L&R low level inputs, hence suggesting the binding posts = spring clips.

FWIW I have nothing against low level connections, I presently run my sub off my Primares L&R Pre-outs. Im just not that sure of the quality of a single LFE RCA socket for music duties.

HTCs my vibes.

6. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Doh! (Slaps forehead...) I'm with you now, CJ.

I've only just started using a high level lead, in addition to the low level, between our Denon AVR2803 and Reference 100 - and must admit that both music and home cinema do sound better.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks everybody for the advice but I went a little mad and bought a Marantz 7300 CD Player, Marantz 7200 amp and Mission 73i speakers from Richer Sounds spending 150% more than I bargined for :D Thanks for the advice anyway, better get a denon for the kitchen ;)