Is the Denon AVC-X3700H worth it compared to the AVC-X3600H?

bodiuk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm looking for views/opinions. For context: I'm upgrading my AV system, going from an old Denon 1900 receiver and KEF 5.1 'egg' surround package. My biggest interest is movies, 4K, & Dolby Atmos. I have a budget of around £4K and plan to spend half on receiver/speakers and the other half on an OLED TV + BR player. For now, I will use four of my existing 'egg' speakers with a new 5.1 speaker package for the rear and height speakers in a 7.2.2 setup. I already have decent cables.

I'm presently deciding between the following two packages:

* Denon AVC-X3600H + Q Acoustics 3050i 5.1 (£1619 @ Richer Sounds - Denon AVRX3600H & Q Acoustics 3050i 5.1 (Black))
* Denon AVC-X3700H + Q Acoustics 3050i 5.1 (£1949 @ Richer Sounds - Denon AVC-X3700H, Q Acoustics Q3050i, Q3010i, Q3090Ci & 3060S (Black))

The question I'm asking myself is this: is the extra cost really worth it to get the Denon X3700H? For what I understand the extra money buys 8K video functionality but little or no sonic advantage. Views/opinions appreciated. Furthermore, for my budget, if anyone has any alternative suggestions then that would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

Is the Denon AVC-X3700H worth it compared to the AVC-X3600H?

Only if you want the additional features associated with the new model.

Only you can answer this?

There's also the fact that you don't technically need to pass the video through the AV receiver to access the new aspects of the video you'd get via HDMI 2.1. If you've a TV that is HDMI 2.1 equipped then that TV is also going to be eARC enabled so all you need is an eARC compliant AV receiver as oposed to a model inclusive of HDMI version 2.1.

I would save the difference as the differences in spec are marginal. However as the 3600 is now discontinued check availability with Richers first.

3700 is newer with 2.1 hdmi however 3600 tested better

......or the X4500 for the same price as the X3700.

Thanks for all your feedback and I appreciate your comments.

So, I called RS and, as pointed out above, they do not have the 3600 in stock. So, after a very long conversation with a very nice salesperson, I got the 3700 with the Q Acoustic speakers along with other stuff at a decent discount. So, it's the 3700 after all! Really looking forward to using it as it's going be such a huge improvement over my 1900 + KEF 2005 set up.

Piece of shit. The first one would not play n the surround sound speakers. I was told the firmware was corrupt. They sent me another one. I had to manually setup the speakers because the auto configuration kept setting up the speakers to zero DBs. Then the FM stations would not work. I
was told because of a weak signal. I told them and actually let the support hear the old 15 year old $10 radio I had to test the signal was right next to the receiver and worked perfectly. Again, I was told the firmware was corrupt. Going back to Onkyo

Piece of sh*t. The first one would not play n the surround sound speakers. I was told the firmware was corrupt. They sent me another one. I had to manually setup the speakers because the auto configuration kept setting up the speakers to zero DBs. Then the FM stations would not work. I
was told because of a weak signal. I told them and actually let the support hear the old 15 year old $10 radio I had to test the signal was right next to the receiver and worked perfectly. Again, I was told the firmware was corrupt. Going back to Onkyo
Why are you sending a Denon back to Onkyo?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom