1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the denon avc-10se still good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dick220369, Aug 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. dick220369

dick220369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a harman kardon avr-230 amp and relaced it with a second hand avc-10se which i won off of ebay for £500.

i'm concerned that the denon is a bit dated now and wont hack the pace much longer. i know it was a good amp in its time but compared to current technology how does it fare ?

also does anyone know where i can still by the denon's matching power amp ( cant remember its name )?

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst it can't quite keep up with the very latest units like the 3805 in terms of processing power (the 3805 has a very potent processor) and features, it's still an excellent performer. The A10SE's internal amplification is beefier (THX Ultra certified) and can cope with loads down to 3.2ohms.

The matching power amp was the POA-T10 which you would have to track down in the 2nd hand market. You could also use either the POA-T2 (2ch) or POA-T3 (3ch) power amps. These were earlier power amps that matched Denon's rather excellent AVP Processor. :)

3. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    You probably paid about £80-£100 too much for the AVC-10SE (they go for about £400 on here), but it was and still is an excellent amp.

I replaced it with a Denon 3805 and whilst the 3805 has more processing bells and whistles the quality of the amplification of the 10SE is much higher. Its also much better with music.

I used to use an AudioLab 8000px for the poweramp - don't bother tracking down a POA-T10 as I spent ages looking for one and it was rubbish (thatsl an exaggeration but you'd be better off getting a NAD or Arcam or something with a fixed gain switch)

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im happy with mine :thumbsup: the amplifier section is quite meaty, infact, its sort of junior Krell if you know what I mean. Warm and smooth. As to processing power, well, my old Yamaha amp (which didnt even have DTS) still sounds pretty good, so although you get improvements like lip synch IMO there are probably not a lot of differences in the overall quality of sound.

Theres more to be had by upgrading speakers and in particular the sub woofer, instead of buying a newer amp.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Another satisfied AVC10SE owner here. It doesn't have the very latest bells whistles and flashing lights but it still amplifies to a higher standard than most of the current crop at the price you paid and trickier loads like M&K are no problems at all