1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Denon A1SE/A1SR Power Supply Flawed?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Beamer, Apr 29, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    After a few years of living (happily) with my Yamaha A1 + separate amp I started to look for a fully integrated upgrade.

The AVC-A1SE / SR looked fit for the job until I found out that if the amplifier suffers a power outage in standby, the amplifier resumes to full power on when the supply voltage returns. I cannot confirm this on the A1SR but it is true of the A1SE. Has anyone taken the trouble to complain to Denon about this anomaly?

Already being the owner of a Technics digital tuner that suffers from the same anomaly, I have to say I have found it quite annoying to come home from work to find the Tuner blazing away without having been switched on!

Some equipment is designed to be configurable to power on to standby or full power when the supply is connected, does anyone know if this option exists with the Denon A1 Amps?

I have sent an email to info@denon.co.uk to clarify the situation but did not receive any response, does anyone have a better email contact?

I appreciate that many readers might consider this problem very minor but for me it is a deal breaker, call me a control freak;)

2. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No such problems with Yamaha amps,but my Pioneer CLD-D925 Laserdisc player goes to full power on after a power cut in standby mode. Not quite so worrying in a relatively low power source component,but in the top of the range Denon amplifier...:eek:

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not quite so worrying in a relatively low power source component,but in the top of the range Denon amplifier...

Only need to worry if a) the source also powers up, b) the input of that source was selected at the amp and c) the volume control is turned up all the way. ;)

If you would be an audiophile you would leave your equipment powered on 24-7 anyway ... :D

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Beamer,

Jase told me about this, but there is a reason: it allows you to switch the unit back on with the power button.

Basically, the power button on the front works the same as switching the unit off at the wall (except for a very small current to keep the settings in memory). If it wasn't for this behaviour, if you had the unit in standby then lost or broke the remote, you wouldn’t be able to switch the unit back on again.

The US version (AVR-5800 /5803) works differently; the power button on the front is an On/Standby button – perhaps the AVC-A1SE /A1SER should have had this arrangement.

Mark

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +891
    As Mark has already said. I found out that if the unit is left in standby mode (switched OFF via the remote) and there is a power cut, the unit turns back on when the power returns.

I now leave it switched off when its not in use.

6. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mark B / Jase

There really is no need to have a full power breaker switch on the front panel as we all have one on the wall;) The American solution sounds good to me, I wonder why they have not incorporated it in the European version.

With respect to the remote control, the power supply could be designed so that when power is lost the amplifier needs to be power cycled through the front panel switch to regain control.

Any input from Mr Denon?