1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the dark RGB problem on the 6006 fixable?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by The_blue, Jan 1, 2003.

1. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i order a 6006 and it comes with the dark RGB problem is it
    fixable?

If i keep sending it back will i get one thats good (in the end), or are the all like it?

finaly is Unbeatable the best price or can it be found cheaper elsewhere?

Total cost £514.99 With stand
    Delivery cost £27.50
    Grand Total £542.49

2. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't seem to have this problem with my 32"6006, as the RGB picture is no darker than the one on my older hitachi 4:3 tv.

tom

4. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I've got a 28" 6006 and have noticed that the RGB feed is a lot darker. What is this problem and what can I do about it?

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes caused by too low a value set for the peak white limiter in the set.

Nothing you can do about it. It will be a limitation of the design of the set. Best bet is to use S-Video instead.

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    so you can't change it in the service menu then?

7. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the setting in the service menu is labelled CL, (though I haven't used the service menu for a loooong time), and if I remember rightly, the default on mine was set at 6, though it did go up to 15.

I did try adjusting this setting (out of curiosity) and it does indeed adjust brightness, though I did leave it at it's default.

tom

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be contrast you'd need to adjust, not brightness. If contrast can't be adjusted in the regular menus for RGB input, I doubt if it can in the service menu. Manufacturers try and cut down on the amount of controls that are adjustable and hardwire them instead to save on costs - so the cheaper the set, the fewer adjustments are possible.

9. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx guys, if i order one and find this problem would i be within my rights to exchange it?

Also when exchanging who (if any one) pays the postage?

If i send it back 5 times would i be stuck with a huge postage bill?

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read the terms and conditions for the store you intend to buy from. It will tell you what happens with regards to exchanges.

But why would you bother returning a set 5 times anyway? If you get dark RGB on one, you'll get it on all. Like I said, it'll be by design.

Also, you've obviously never had to exchange a TV yet. Believe me, after the first 2 you get VERY fed up with all the to-ing and fro-ing and assembling and disassembling of stands, cabinets and so on.

11. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True i've never sent one back, but the RGB problem seams to only be on some sets not all :(. And knowing my luck they are finding me one out right now...

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people have better eyesight and are more attentive to detail than others ;)

13. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What i'd realy like to know is how bad (dark)this problem is? And would running the DVD through some other means (normal scart maybe) make that much difference.

Please take note that i've never seen a DVD played through RGB, so would it be a case of you can't miss what you've never had?

P.S. my DVD is via a HCPC and a hollywood Xcard.

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you pop down to a store and get a demo via RGB and via S-Video on the same set. Then you'll know exactly what you're dealing with.

If you're currently watching DVDs on your PC, then I'd put money on you noticing the difference.

15. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    The CL setting is for the Tuner and nothing to do with the picture.

As for some sets having it and not others, is it possible that some players(like mine) just dont have good enough detail in RGB and therefore making shadows too black?
    I'm going to see if I can borrow another player to see if it is my player(it's a pioneer dvd525)!

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, some players don't deal with dark detail too well which would amplify the problem. But if it's dark, it's dark. I went from a lovely, bright RGB picture on two Philips 28PW6515s that I returned (for bad geometry and large "cracking" noises) to a hideously dark RGB picture on a JVC AV28R25 that I then returned (for the dark RGB), to a fantastic RGB picture on a Sony KV28LS60 (my current TV set that I stuck with).

In all cases, the DVD player was the same - a Sony DVP NS300 which has no problems with dark detail.

Your best bet is to compare S-Video and RGB on your PW6006 using the same DVD player. You'll see any problems the player has with dark detail on S-Video as well.

17. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great idea :) What shop would u recomend, the only ones around here are the mainstream ones, currys etc and don't realy seem that helpfull :(

I'm watching DVD's on the TV via the Xcards Svid out (svid to comp) By notice a difference do u mean better or worse?

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any shop will do. Demand a demo or walk out waving your cash in their face.
    Worse. If you were currently using RGB and your current TV had a dark RGB problem then you wouldn't notice.

That's why you have to compare it with S-Video to see if the picture is significantly brighter.

19. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers m8t, when did buying a TV become so hard?? I'm sure i used to just buy for looks etc.:blush:

I'd have thought for £550-600 you could buy a good TV with little to no problems but with evey turn i make i find another great TV with at least one flaw that makes you think.

Do u have any ideas on a good all round 32" set for that kind of dosh?

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They all have flaws, hidden features, whatever. It's a case of balancing up what you can put up with and what you can't put up with and it varies from individual to individual. So you'll need to avoid trying to take shortcuts and get demos of all sets you're considering within your price range, read around the forums so nothing takes you by surprise, and then make a decision ;)

I'm very happy with the RGB on my LS60, but it's £620 for the 28" version and £849 for the 32" at Comet.co.uk (that's a hell of a price drop though as I paid £900 for my LS60 a few months ago from Comet.co.uk!)
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/297_816257.html
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/297_816273.html
    The 32" of the 50Hz version (the LS35) sells for about £100-£200 less.

Another bit of advice - don't just go for the cheapest retailer. If you have a problem with your TV set, you'll be really grateful for good service ;)

21. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Well that answers the question then, I've tried my player using s-video and the darkness was not a problem, trouble is the picture on rgb is far superior(even with the darkness).
    What's the chances of me sending my tv back if I've gotten rid of the box?( I got it from anything-direct)

22. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes of course it is - RGB should be clearer, sharper, more detailed, whether it's dark or not :)
    I had no trouble sending TVs back without the boxes to Curry's and Comet. After all, those boxes are huge and I had absolutely no room to store them :)

23. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Back it goes then!

24. Stiesto

Stiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to go off topic a bit but this ones for you Squirrel God.
    I've decided to go ahead and get a KV28LS60 (lets hope I dont get a buzzing one) and you say you purchased yours from Comet.co.uk. Well, I've heard some horror stories about said retailer so what was your transaction like with them...any problems?. Did you get your returned TV's from them and if so, what were they like about refunds, exchanges etc.
    Cheers

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had no problems with Comet.co.uk when buying TVs.

Yes, I returned the two Philips 28PW6515s to them. Got a refund the second time around which went through smoothly, without me having to ring up to remind them.

Then bought the JVC AV28R25 from Curry's, got a refund on it and then went back to Comet.co.uk for my Sony KV28LS60.

If you want to know every minor niggle, then I had a problem once when Comet's phones went down and once when their computer systems went down, but it just meant I had to wait a bit - that's trivial as far as I'm concerned and happens everywhere.

Each time, the engineers and delivery guys stuck to the times that were booked and Comet have a rule about a service call being arranged within 48 hours or something like that, so that was a plus too as you don't have to wait too long (check the actual time on their website).

I had the same Comet engineer on both occasions so I guess he must cover my particular area in London. He was a very nice guy, very polite, and I heard no arguments from him - he just wanted to verify that what I said was true (which is his job) and I stuck to my guns about what I wanted :D He did seem a bit confused with the fact that I'd bought the TV online rather than from an actual store but I guess that's just technology for you :rolleyes: :D

Wherever you buy, make sure you pay with a credit card anyway. Then if something horrendous does go wrong, your credit card company will sort it out for you :)

26. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although it's not really a solution as such, it's worth pointing out that some DVD players will let you boost the contrast on the RGB feed. If someone was happy with their current player then of course it would seem pretty silly (and expensive) to buy a new one just for that reason...

As an example, my Tosh 510E has some really useful picture adjustments, as you can change the contrast, brightness and sharpen up a soft picture. Like I say, not a solution per se, but any 6006 owner (or prospective owner) thinking of upgrading their DVD player should maybe keep an eye out for one with similar features.

27. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked the service menu and CL does indeed set/adjust contrast and not brightness, as squirrel god rightly pointed out ;)

28. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    So would I need to increase or decrease the CL to sort out the dark picture?

29. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you increase the CL the contrast will get brighter, but I'm not quite sure if it will fix the problem.

How dark is the picture using RGB and how high is the brightness setting on your tv menu?

tom

30. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How dark is 'dark'? how many notches would you have to turn the brightness down on a normal pic to match the RGB?