Is the Cyrus 1 better than the Music Fidelity X-150?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by yello, Aug 26, 2006.

1. yello

yello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question is in the title

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I would note imagine so, is it better than a Primare A20 MkII you could buy on Ebay for £300, or a Sony ES amp for £100-150 on Ebay .... If you catch my drift.

If your dead set on the MF, I would watch Ebay and wait for a X-A2 to come along.

3. yello

yello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any particular reason?

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Well the X-A2 was bascially the £1000 X-1000R sold for £500, they go for £200-250 second hand. To me it is a better buy than a new MF 150. Nothing wrong with the MF 150, but you can source better older MF kit from yesteryear for less lolly.

Still there are plenty of other amps that I would be checking at the same new rrp price of the MF, ie Sugden A21, CA 840, Nait 5, I21, Unico ......... I think you get more for your money from other kit, a quick place to see this for example is on the binding posts of the amps discussed so far in the thread.

Good luck whatever you choose.

One thing is certain dude, to get to the next level you need to replace the Cyrus 1. What that replacement is down to you, but I would listen to more kit than the MF 150.

5. yello

yello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only reason why I ask is that I have found an ex-demo for sale at 400 quid. And was wondering if it would an improvement over the Cyrus 1?

6. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Bearing in mind the price difference, I'd certainly expect the MF to be better. The key point though is that it'll sound "different".
    Cyrus kit tends to be a little lean and boppy. MF is more tonally rich and more laid back. So whilst the MF "might" be better overall, you may or may not like it's style of presentation. Often it'll be down to synergy with both your room and partnering equipment.
    Go listen.

7. Sofa1

Sofa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cyrus 1 is hardly better than anything. even cheap NAD is better than Cyrus.

but, if you like thin, light, bassless, soulless sound, Cyrus is verry good:(