Is the contrast of a Plasma good enough to replace a CRT

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +724
    I am sorry for all these posts, but I am still swaying between keeping my CRT or going for a Plasma.

All of the Plasmas that I have seen have been in shops with fairly dimely lit enviroments.

If you put a Plasma next to a CRT in 'normal' condition (i.e the room lit with bright day light) will the Plasma compair favourably.

I need to be sure that I won't have to close the curtains everytime I watch the TV.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Since the question is pertaining to plasma rather than crt, we'll send it over there.Mooooveing :)

3. baileych

baileych

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest I found my old 28" widescreen crt (not flatscreen) almost unwatchable at some times in daylight (note to self - get thicker curtains).

My new plasma is much better, although most of this is because, being a flat screen, it doesn't always reflect the window wherever you're sitting.

I find that the biggest problem is reflections rather than a lack of contrast with either plasma or crt.

Night time viewing is the tops though but not essential as for projector setups.

Charles.

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry jon mis wrote the last post cant find it now to change it,
    i ment to write what plasma did you decide on after?
    if it is any help i have ntl going in to mine through a rgb to vga box and the pic quality is good on most channels ,things like sky news and bbc and the more popular channels i find good, things like euro sport and bravo not so good.
    on the plus side i just watched 2 hours of boxing on sky sports very good pic and the logo`s were fine no after burn at all.

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    jmack,

Still havnt' decided on anything.. If I am going to get one, it will definitely be the Toshiba 46WP16.. But, after the demo of the 43" Pioneer that I saw today, I am far from convinced.

After spending a further £1500 (on top of what I have payed for my current CRT TV), I would hope for nothing but benifits... But other than a 42" screen, everything else seems to be a negative.

I am still trying to find somewhere I can get a proper demo of the Toshiba/Panasonic, but if its anything like the Pioneer, I am going to live with what I have.

How do you find yours for 'Normal' TV... My biggest fear is that my ratio of 'normal TV' to Movies is about 95%/5% and I want something whoch will make normal TV look good. However the Pioneer I saw looked awfully jaggied.

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Jmack,

Another question.. I have just been reading the thread about 'buzzing'... DO you have a noticable buzz from your Plasma?

My old Sony CRT was quite loud and I was happy to get a Philips which is almost silent.. I would be gutted to buy a Plasma and find that it buzzes.

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was lucky with mine no buzzing at all, no dead pixells and i dont suffer from the s-video lock.
    i find watching tv very good i have to different settings normal for night time and i use the dynamic for day time i get a very good pic,

8. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Jon

I think you have finally given the salient information concerning your plasma dilemma.

You don't watch enough widescreen material to get the best from a plasma at moment they are best for DVDs and widescreen material the rest is a slight compromise regarding aspect.

Which for 95% of the time I would not make.

9. radiostar

radiostar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0