Is the 2200 or 2900 overkill for Panny TX32PD30?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by barnsley boy, Jul 10, 2004.

1. barnsley boy

barnsley boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am awaiting delivery of a Panny TX32PD30 and as my current DVD player doesn't have progressive scan I want to purchase a replacement unit that does.

I have an aversion to cables being seen (and an excess of speaker boxes) and therefore until I can justify the expense and inconvenience (more so the latter with the 'boss') of chasing in cables for ceiling/wall speakers I am wanting to either use the Panny's or my current Audiolab 8000A amp and Mission 737 floor standers.

My first question is that apart from the fact that I can play SACD's etc, will either or both of the Denons sound better than my current Marantz CD63SE when playing CD's?

More importantly is finding a suitable player for watching DVD's. Applying the old adage 'garbage in garbage out' are the Denon's too good or not good enough to get the best out of the TV?

How does the Panny speakers compare with feeding the audio thru a decent amplifier?

Should I consider any other DVD palyers? Are there any other issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any info provided.

BB

2. Mike S

Mike S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am running a DVD 2200 into a PD30 and I'd say they are a very good match indeed. Progressive scan output from the Denon looks astounding on the PD30, with NTSC being slightly superior to PAL but that may just be better encoding on the discs I am comparing as I don't have any movies in both NTSC and PAL format to make a true comparison. The level of detail and rock steady image quality in the remastered Alien disc, for example, is simply astounding and makes virtually all other displays I've tested/compared look second rate to lesser or greater degrees. The onboard sound and speakers are not too special and a set of this quality really demands a decent amp and speaker package so I would suggest running the DVD into your amp rather than outputting through the TV but a surround package would make a real difference.

I haven't tested the SACD or DVD-A capabilities of the Denon as I bought it for its video processing ability so it's not connected to my hi-fi. If multi-channel music is your aim then you might be better with the DVD-2900 which has comparable video quality to the 2200 but superior audio. I also couldn't comment on whether the Denon will sound better for 2 channel CD's than your Marantz as I have a seperate Arcam based hi-fi system so cannot really compare the two (plus I've never heard your Marantz player!).

If, as you say, you are mainly focused on video quality then you should be very happy with a PD30/DVD-2200 combination. You'll also need to get hold of a decent component cable (Mark Grant's are excellent) to make the most of the progressive scan....

3. barnsley boy

barnsley boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Mike,. You mentioned quality component cable and mentioned ones from 'Mark Grant'. Do you have a web address to purchase?

BB

4. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Have a look in the powerbuy section for Mark's cables :)

5. barnsley boy

barnsley boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Samir, I've found it. :)

BB

6. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've just sold my Marantz CD63SE and I still think it sounds very good. That said I purchased an ARCAM DV27 (non DVD-A version) and the CD playback is better than I ever thought possible.
    I used to believe that the we must have reached the maximum sound quality that could be got from CD, but the DV27 was a revelation, totally unbelieveable.
    I'm also considering a Denon 2900 purely for SACD/DVD-A disks.

Good luck.

Steve.