1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is that all important logo really the issue it's made out to be?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Faust, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I can't help but wonder if all the froth and hype surrounding the impending Hi Def service from Sky is simply a rouse to get the unsuspecting consumer with little AV knowledge to part with their hard earned cash. The catalyst for my thoughts was my neighbour who as just purchased the Panny TH37PE50 Plasma. I asked him why he had not purchased a HD Ready product to future proof himself. The response, which I could not argue with was that he could not afford to pay the premium for a HD Ready set. This got me thinking further about my own situation i.e. I simply want to watch telly - I have Sky+ etc. but I am not prepared to pay any further money out in subscriptions above my present package (Sky Movies World) although in reality we rarely watch any Sky Movies. I don't wish to play games, and we watch an occasional DVD, as in one or two a year. Given this, would I be better off getting something like the non HD Ready TH37PE50? Even when terrestrial t.v. goes Hi Def (around 20012 probably) what is likely to be HDCP encrypted on terrestrial...... anything? I think it about time that this whole debate was opened up, as surely the need to buy a HD Ready set depends on what you are likely to use it for.

P.S. I have heard a rumour and I stress it's nothing more than that, though it is from someone who has been pretty accurate in the past that Skys business model for Hi Def is going to be Sky Hi Def PVR £375 - £400, with each individual Hi Def channel costing an extra £5 per month.

2. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Well Faust i think you've allready decided a non hd set is the one for you and why not if you're not interested in hd content and the likely extra costs that will come with the hd logo why bother :rotfl:
    Having bought a hd set due to my interest i find the rumour you've heard rather disturbing.Having paid a premium for the set i was expecting to pay an excessive amount for sky's hd box....due to the fact the logo comes with a "MILK ME NOW!" tag. :devil: But an extra £5 :eek: for each individual hi def channel per month on top of the box charge is astounding :mad: If this turns out to be true i think sky will turn their loyal excited anticipating customers into bloodthirsty, furious individuals that would be baiting for a witch hunt :devil:
    :lesson: Lets not expect this to halt sky with their masterplan though cos as weve seen in the past they treat their loyal customers as they see fit :mad: as can be seen from previous scams they have very little respect for the likes of us mere mortals :devil:

3. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I've ordered a HD tv on the basis I have an XBOX360 on pre-order.

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    im with Panzer.

I was looking at a PWD8 panel but by the time you've added js switch box, cards etc etc the cost was mounting. so went for 42PV500 for £2249 from JL. Was about £650 more than the PWD8 option but gets me a 5 year warrenty and I have an Xbox360 on order.

Not set in stone that i'll upgrade to SkyHD when it comes out but its likely.

End of the day though it will be different for everyone. If you're not planning on a HD games console, and have no intention of getting HD sky, why pay for a feature you're not going to use.

5. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Motion seconded, PS3 too

6. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah, I'll get the PS3 too. It's just that's a little bit further down the line. :)

7. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Plenty of time to save after the XBox360 for the PS3

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In this case, the harbinger of doom is right, HD channels will be individual premium channels, and PPV events, and will not broadcast HD 24/7 or anything like it. I think he MAY be a bit low for the box!! Not sure on that though. It might depend on whether you are a new customer and all that jazz! I'm all for HD BTW, I will buy an X-Box 360, and HD-DVD, but not broadcast services, I have idealogical differences with the Murdoch empire.

9. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Aren't NTL trialing HD is a certain area of England at the moment? Aparently they're working on some s****y newtork restructure to bring 20Mb Broadband and HD to the masses :p

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I was under the impression they were so strapped for cash they were down to egg & cress and tescos coke at the board meetings. That would mean they've run out of cash for network investment without a restructure. I don't think telewest have got any cash to bring to the merger have they?

11. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The merger will let them both make very substantial savings on operating costs and also greatly expand their user base so there is at least some hope of a competitor to $ky.

On a different note fast broadband speeds are here.

Im currently working on a deal with a company that is unrolling 24MB broadband across the UK as we speak.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well keep us posted, I'd like some of that!!

13. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    24MB has had its first roll out already in selected london areas.
    The major UK cities will be added to this over the forthcoming months.
    Cant say too much due to confidentiality reasons but suffice to say its good.

Test results are at 1.5km from the exchange a sustained 18mb download and 1.3 mb upload.

Pricing will be around £35 a month for unlimited downloads with NO contention...

obviously im pushing to have my exchange upgraded as soon as possible...

14. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Doubt it, they've probably got a fair bit of technology though :p

Now they're the only major cable provider in the UK as far as I know, so thats gotta dos omething for them, and they're FINALLY upgrading their shoddy user interface over the next few weeks to something which they say will rival Sky's interface...interesting this has become

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I agree with you Faust, I would just get a screen is HD compatible, the PE50 would do the job nicely. I think your mate is spot on with pricing, I think it will go pay per channel.

I think most of us on here won't want to watch anything, or very little, that requires Sky or whoever to turn on HDCP, in which case the component outputs will remain on, so as long as you have a set that can accept 720 or 1080 over analogue that will be enough.
    What I mean by I don't think there will be alot that we would want to watch is this...
    It will be stuff like box office movies that will require HDCP, and how many people watch box office on Sky now? hardly any I bet because we all buy the films on disc, why will this change when HD is around, I know I will be still buying discs like I do now, albeit HD versions. If there was not going to be Blu-ray or whatever then yeah I would watch Box Office as it would be the best you could get quality wise, but that won't be the case.

So yeah I think you are right Faust, but you may be better to buy last years high res screen that is not HD ready rather than the newer lower res screen as that doesn't have the resolution?

16. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am not sure when (or even if) I will go for sky HD but I wanted a HD set anyway for the following:

1) Full benefits of PAL res material.
    2) For hooking up a PS3/XBOX360
    3) For PC use (if only very occasional)
    4) For HD-DVD
    5) Because I bought the Fuji expecting to keep it for a good number of years (I cant afford to upgrade on a regular basis)

SkyHD was for me a tiny part of my purchase decision. I never watch Sky Box Office, and have only ever watched a couple of Sky Movies films as I much prefer to buy/hire the DVD. I imagine HD material will be the same.

Regards,
    R

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    I don't want skyHD, I have never paid for Sky, and I definately won't be paying for sky HD.
    I will be mainy using my xbox 360 and maybe HD-DVD when the prices are under £400.

I can't believe people who pay £50/month plus £10 for the Sky+

18. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I haven't actually decided one way or another - my question perhaps rhetorical was this. For people like myself who simply wish to watch terrestrial t.v. with the odd Sky Movie or occasional DVD thrown in, and who have become price resistant to further Sky subscriptions, is a HD Ready t.v. of any real benefit? I may be wrong about FTA broadcasting, however, does anyone know if the HDCP element of HD will ever be needed for FTA....? if not then component should be enough.

The £5 a channel pricing is only some information that has come my way, so should not be taken as gospel, though I have heard other people mention £15 a month on top of the premium channels. Either way I doubt it will be cheap, and personally I am more than happy with the broadcast quality I receive now from Sky, certainly on my CRT anyway. I have seen HD on numerous occasions recently, and whilst the quality is obviously very good, I wouldn't pay any extra for it as it doesn't fire me that much. To me at least, all it is very good PQ, which would be one up from the good PQ I enjoy at present.

19. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i didnt get an HD panel either, i wont be paying for the sky channels, I do play games but not in a big way and my dvd is connected via component, I have seen the HD images in dixons and comet and did not think they were any better than what i already have,Another point,will dvd content have to be in an HD format??becaus i for one will not be scrapping my DVD library,just because they are not high def, and i have yet to hear of any mainstream films being produced in high def(apart from the small samples floating around),so unless their are some in the pipeline,HD is still a very long way off

20. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    At the top of my list at present is the Panny TH37PE50PD - this has recently fallen to silly money (no doubt because they are rumoured to be fitting an HDMI socket to it and renaming it the 55 series) but has always received great reviews and plaudits. Not sure what others think of that particular choice.

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    If you need an all in one TV then I think it would be a great choice, I set my friends up for him and that looked great, not as good as a 42" Panny monitor but very good and a really nice package. Having said that if they do bring out one with an hdmi socket and it is only a couple of hundred quid more it may be worth waiting, even if you get the PE50 even cheaper.

22. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think one thing for sure is sky are going to have to throw a spanner in the works here and give us all a pleasant suprise :eek: Because if the romours are to be true about subsription fee's etc and we go by the opinions of the majority of the people that use these forums Sky are going to struggle to make the hd broadcast phenomenon take off :thumbsdow Faust a freind has the PE50 and it is a great tv (it was the one that made me decide to buy panasonic),but as gizlaroc says it probably is worth the little extra wait and money to get it with an HDMI connection then at least you have some sort of future proofing :smashin:

23. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It has already happened in Germany - see this link

http://www.produkte.panasonic.de/product/product.asp?sStr=5@-@1@13@40@41@@@@@TH-42PE55E@Viera|Plasma-Bildschirme@&altMod=N&upper=&prop=

24. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    And only €100 more than the PA50 too.

In fact, digital tuner and hdmi for only £60 more.

25. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    My major concern with sky HD, is that they cant seem to get SD right. The picture quality on standard sky TV on alot of channels, even sky one, is truly awfull at times. What makes everyone think that HD wont have the same issues?
    Perhaps sky are going to show proper high bit rate SD stuff and tell us all its HD :eek: :devil: :D :rotfl:

26. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: "NAH!" sky would'nt stoop that low would they :eek: or would they :devil: :D