1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is that a small sir?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by add, Apr 1, 2005.

1. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So,
    my main fronts (mission 782's) have a bottom end of 48hz,
    my rear surrounds (780's) have a bottom end of 65hz,
    and my centre (78c) has a bottom end of 75hz.

Is a good place to start tweaking my sub (78as) at 50hz?
    Or should I set it a bit higher, say 65-70 so the sub can pick up the bass for the mains and the rears too?
    Or should I go higher, 75ish so it deals with the stuff the centre can't hack?

I am currently experimenting by setting my av amp speaker settings to "small" for the fronts, rears, and centre channels, thus forcing all the bass (I don't know and can't find anywhere the crossover setting of my amp nad 753 if you happen to know it) to the sub, yes?

As for positioning, that I can do last, yes, no?

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would get the sub positioned as best as possible first, then use a sound level mater to set up all the speakers/auto setup and then start fiddling.

I use mine with all speakers set to small and the sub at 70. I feel it works well but I know it will change sooner or later :devil:

3. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,692
    First suggestion is try the different settings and see what sounds best to you! I personally would start at about 55Hz and work upwards I think until I like the sound then up again unyil I don't like the sound then back it down a bit.

As for the positioning, well you could get it all set up then move it 1ft and have to set it all up again so I would figure out the most likely / best positions where everyone is happy with it being then try it in each of the places.

Setting up is a VERY long and lengthy process! In fact I'm not convinced it ever ends!!!

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I fiddled with the BK for a day, had difficulty getting it to sound anything less than excellent, haven't touched it since. Perhaps I'm missing something?...PJ :)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are many that aren't aware what a well setup subwoofer should sound like so will happily settle for less than optimum.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I suppose I'm still getting used to the improvement just having a sub has made. To be honest I did carefully adjust it so that it sounded right *to me* and since I doled out the wonga that's the main criteria AFAIK. The only thing I sometimes adjust now is the output level to the sub which I can do via the amp's remote, hence I don't need to adjust the sub's settings...PJ

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Agreed, but sealed designs can be easier to integrate than any of the other options.

In response to the original question, positioning should really be done first but it's a very impractical way of doing it. I would recommend putting the sub in your ideal location, leaving your amps crossover at 80Hz, bypassing the subs internal crossover, set phase to zero (if it has phase adjustment) and then calibrate channel volumes as you normally would. Leaving all your speakers set to small is also a good place to start.

Next, you should sit in your listening position with a cool beverage listening to some of your favourite music that you know well and has at least some discernable low frequency content. Ask a lackey to slowly vary the subwoofers crossover dial across it's entire range and stop where you think it all integrates the best.

You now have a sub set up to a bare minimum standard. From here, you should try the sub in as many other locations as you can whilst playing some music and of course returning to your listening position whilst you're analysing. It may also be helpful to play some slow frequency sweeps through it (use a signal generator such as SigJenny or just download some) and listen for a uniform volume as the tones descend.

The details are really down to you and personal preference, you should locate the sub in the best place you can if you can and then you should play with the amplifier settings further to see if you like the changes and also get a feel for what any changes you make will actually do to the sound.

Unfortunately it's all quite time consuming but will be well worth it in the end. :)

8. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I better get myself a lackey built liek a shed to run around twiddling and humping my sub, the damn thing weighs a metric ton, while i sit and chill :thumbsup:

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    :laugh:
    Yup, it would be fairer if you did the humping and someone else did the twiddling though! :)

10. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the point in commandering a lackey from somewhere if I then have to hump the thing, and leave the twiddling to the lackey? ;)

Nah, surly much better to get them to do the humping and the twiddling, while I sit and listen to the tonal qualities of the lackey's work! :)

Well things are going pretty much to plan, got a new bigger room for my kit, and a great Apollo Aria stand for my equipment which I can't hear the benfit of, but it was a bargain, and it looks beautiful. :thumbsup:

Sub is pounding away annoying someone I am sure, at a steady 58ish Hz, with a new position, and a little less gain than the last room, see mspaint davinci master piece below.
    [​IMG]