is teh 436xde for me

mcbunny

Established Member
Reaction score
i need help i just dont know what to do any more :(

i like the 436 xde alot but not sure if its for me

i play games a fair bit and when i do it tends to be for hours at a time so would i end up killing the screen quickly with retention issues ???

it would be mostly used with dvb-t but also with a fair few dvd's

i also want to use it with a htpc not just for media tho but also for just general pc use

i want a sexy tv thats easy to wall mount (that sounds like the pio then lol)

i just dont know any more would an lcd be better for me :(

Get it!

It's a great screen, I play a lot of xbox 360, PS2 & PC games like World of Warcraft & Half Life 2. I've had no screen retention.

I also use it for Maya and general PC use and like you said it's easy to wall mount.

i just worry as there seems to be alot of people having retention problems after short periods of having static things on screen and then spending 4 hours a night running snow to get rid of the retention and to be that sounds bloody stupid and a waste of tv watching time and electricity lol

i play the 360 on my 436xde for hours at a time once you have run it in properly you do not have a problem with retention at least i have not.

i played perfect dark zero for about 8 to 10 hours on it with not one problem just perfect picture

hum thank you seek :)

what does it take to run it in propperly ???

It might also depend on how perfectionist you are with the PC. It's very easy to find a screen that works better with PC, maybe not so easy to find one that looks that good, and has the media box, if that's what you want.

well id want a screen that was readable and wont give you a headache when using it
and as pc connection is teh only real way to get hd content onto the thing its quite important id have thought

should i just buy a pio then lol

i just dont want to waste 2k

The usual thing with the Pio is to run the PC at 1280/720 on HDMI. That is not panel native. It can't do panel native on digital. It also overscans by about 5% The VGA port is a bit crap, basically. You can't do any multiple of 25 as a refresh rate, so no PAL video, it's not designed for moving images, just a bit of .ppt perhaps. The best PC setups I've seen have used both VGA (for general use) and HDMI (for video) That works OK, but it's commercial sister, the 42MXE10 is HD ready and does 50Hz and 60Hz at native res on DVI. No tuners, external boxes etc, but a great panel.

it is one amazing plasma.

i do not use it for a pc monitor i use it for tv,dvd,360 all hd stuff i wanna play i use 360 and midia centre and the picture from all of the above is flawless in my eye's.

however i have put my laptop on it with the vga port and it went upto a res of 1280x768 :S

I'm sure it accepts lots of PC resolutions on VGA, but it's native res is 1024/768. That's what I'd use on a fixed pixel display.

hum i still dunno its alot of money to get the wrong thing lol

Don't buy one, then you won't have to worry about it! There, that was easy wasn't it ;)

but i need a tv for the new house lol and it has to be flat either that or we have to buy a new sofa lol but the gf loves the sofa so that wont happen :)

Don't be like that! My purpose is not to put people off buying them, just to give the full facts on a subject little understood by most shops that sell them. Where the main source is PC, with TV and DVD playback from the computer, its certainly not the one, after that it's sliding scale according to the amount of PC use, and the seriousness with which you take it.

tbh at the moment there is no htpc it was my next investment but i would use my laptop to run hd content in the mean time

most of the stuff is an unknown due to this been my first big tv so its hard to give you decent answers lol

i just dont want a tv that in 6 months i wish i hadnt bought due to the PQ been crap and it not really been able to do HD content aprt from skyhd

mcbunny trust me the picture is by far not crap people say between this tv and the pv500 are two of the best PQ tv out there for sd and HD.

i got my one month ago and i have just got out of the 200 hours run in so i can get it ISFed soon as i got the money :d really can not wait to see what the tv can really do.

can i just borrow yours for a month lol :p

the problem i find with this forum well the users is that to most people everyone elses kit is crap so trying to get a honest opinion is almost impossible. and the people that are been impartial you cant tell who they are due to fanboys etc

its really annoying :( and mag reviews are dodgy as it all depends what manufacturer supplied the doughnuts that month as to who gets a good review

i suppose most of the things with buying a screen like this is subjective so there never really is a clear winner :(

You can't go too far wrong here, as Seek says, they are all good at this end of the market. Couple of other points, what else are you wanting to connect, and do you have sound sorted, or in mind, or will the missus want the side speakers for watching corrie etc? Lots of folks end up with this thinking it's just easy to connect everything. It is, but others are just as easy, don't require a million cables dug into the wall etc. For me, as I have switching in my AV amp, the media box would just be another hot, noisy box in my cupboard, I don't need it. Nor do I want any TV tuning, I've got a freeview PVR. If I had this plasma, and maybe a DVDR like lots of folks have, I would then have 5 TV tuners, that's a lot! Again, my surround sound is always on, I neither need nor want side speakers. So, apart from the shiny black surround, it's got no advantages. A simple choice for me, cosmetics or function. It may not be so straightforward if you need the TV tuner and speakers.

if you get a pioneer 436xde or a panny pv500 you will love which ever one you get.

i was in the same boat as you 2 months ago and i ended up getting the pioneer and i love it but i also have no doubt if i got the pv500 i would love that aswell they are both very very good tv's.

well after 3 months of research on tv's i put it down two them two tv's anyway:D

hope it helps

its replacing an 18 year old tosh mono 21" crt lol

its my first stumble into home cinema so i would be going for the lot in the future surround sound etc etc

plugged into it would be a xbox using component replaced by 360 once i had gotten around to buying one but have held back due to there not been much point in having one without a hd tv. and a upscalling dvd player and the laptop/pc.

we dont have sky yet but id get skyhd when it comes around

only other thing been plugged in would be a video camera from time to time

i dont record tv dont really see the point these days the gf would like a dvd recorder but tbh they seem to be low down on the quality scale

sounds like a better option to me :)

Yeah, DVD recorders are naff in every way. Your choice really is between the convenience of a TV or the quality of the PC (and to be frank, all other sources too). A panel only plasma may not be so stylish, but it does everything better. Less rubbish in the way basically. A freeview box would sort out TV until you get skyHD, whether a PVR type with HDD or not depends how long till you get skyHD. TBH a PVR, whether a sky+ type or a freeview one, it's going to make the biggest difference to you, bigger than the plasma in a way.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom