Is such a setup possible on my limited budget?

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm thinking way in advance here as I won't be buying until August/September so things may well change by that time.

I'm looking for a plasma between 32" and 42" - 37" would prob be the ideal. I want a plasma that doesn't have a very large surround. I dont't need speakers or a tuner (not that it matters if one is included - although removable speakers will make the tv look smaller I guess).

I will be using my Denon 1910 DVD player (which has DVI out) and my thomson DHD-4000 freeview PVR.

I would want to get a plasma that is HD compatible even though I doubt I'll be getting sky. I know plasmas and lcds are good with high quality sources - like DVD's but not good with standard definition broadcasts. I keep hearing about scalers like the DVDO iScan HD+ which sound good but expensive and also Gordon ISF and his calibrations keeps popping up in threads :confused:

I also want some 5.1 surround sound - I was thinking something like yammy 750SE and some MS Genies.

I need a stand for the tv and other equipment (probably go for somrthing like the £100 Kenmark one) and I need all the cables.

Right my budget, and try not to laugh, is £3000 :laugh:

I would happily by the audio stuff second hand, maybe if I go with the yamaha amp I could get it from Germany and the speakers second hand somewhere.

Anyway, is that sort of setup remotely possible with my budget or is it simply wishful thinking?

Thanks, Nick.

easy mate but so much will change in the next 6 months what is available and good now is likely to change a lot between know and then but what you want should be possible depending on exactly what you want within budget.....

**** easy mate :D
Right.......£1800 will buy you a great Plasma tv @ 37" (I would personaly recommend the Panasonic 37PE30, but there will be more choice in the next 3-5 months). That leaves £1200...........a decent Receiver will set you back £300/£500 depending on make or specs (you cant go wrong with Denon or Pioneer). That leaves a maximum of £700 left for speakers.........any speaker package in the region of £400 bearing the name ELAC/CANTON/MISSION will be just dandy. Your left with approxamately £200. That should cover a nice shiny new stand and a few cables. Thats the sort of thing I would be considering.....I only have a modest system (probably in the region of what your after) in an average sized livingroom and I am more than pleased. Just remember, £3000 IS alot of money if you spend it wisely on value for money bargains in the right places....

If you are up for getting this connected and working yourself, the budget is achievable. The new panasonic 8 will fit your bill (september) and the yam 760 or Onkyo 603 will do nicely, along with Tannoy Arena speakers. A google search on this lot will reveal nothing, it's all yet to be made. Try again in 5 months, have a good lurk and see where the market is headed. You are looking in the right place to be bang up to date.

PS with a 5.1 system, you have no need whatsoever for a PE30, especially as it has no digital connetcion, and has Dumbo's ears on the side, or are those things intended for making a noise of some sort?

Thanks for the quick reply - I realise everything will probably change by the time I'm ready to buy. Do you think something like the DVDO iScan HD+ scaler is worth it? They seem to be around £900 so it would be a large proportion of my budget. Also who is this Gordan I keep hearing about?
EDIT: other two replies came up while I was typing mine. MAW, PE30 ?? Am I being stupid?

No, the guy suggesting it is doubtless an enamoured owner of said TV, who did not read your post fully. You find a lot of 'mine's the best everyone should buy it' posts.
Gordon is an ISF calibrator. Do an internet search, and look at his website, he's in the advertisers list. Iscan is out of budget for you for the time, get one later if you feel the need. You are better to spend 3k on screen and sound system for your watching pleasure. You need to feel as well as see, ask Mr Lucas, he knows a thing or 2 about cinema.

PE30 current Viera from panny new ones due in 3-4 months wil be HD ready
Gordon is an ISF calibrator and dealer also imports the Lumagen scalers to the UK convergant-av is his company Piers is another ISF calibrator and dealer for scalers his company is www.homecinemaengineering.com as you have plenty of time get some demos and see what you think of the current crop!

Woops sorry just read the post again :oops: ........Replace PE30 with PW7.
Im enamoured at this site - http://www.tbpav.co.uk/ ........it is a great source of information and they state on the homepage that systems start at £3000!....very handy :clap:

Amends have been made then! PE30 is a great telly, no bones about it. For an integrated HC setup, the panels are the way forward. I gurss the 42" might well be in the price range come Aug/Sept. I like the falling price of plasma, it's good for business. my installs used to cost £5k, the same would now be 3.5k, must be good.

I wish I could wait for prices to drop cos I would be a much wealthier man :D MAW - Do you ever think the sort of tech Pioneer are knocking out year in year out (435XDE etc etc) will ever be 'affordable'. For example - its 2008.......is the latest Pioneer Plasma as little as £1200?......or do you think they will ALWAYS be on the wrong side of £2500-£3500? Is it just cos Plasma is fairly new or cos Pioneer are aimed at a more 'serious' sector?.....HDMI and DVI are very new and they will be on every set in the next couple of years so they cant blame extra costs on new sockets!

Can you just go into a/v shops and ask for various equipment to be demo'd without actually buying anything? Or is that just rude?

Pioneer, serious, you must be joking! The XDE is aimed at mug punters! It's just an expensive telly! In 2008, my crystal ball is a bit misty and indistinct, but I see a new technology, price point higher than plasma, but with few of the drawbacks. 20% of GB will have hi def, the others won't see the point or can't afford it (they will be paying 50p a pint extra to see it). The new tech, I have no idea. Pioneer might not be involved at all, they are quite a small company in Japan. Matsu****a are much bigger (panasonic) but the technology will be made in Korea by then. HDMI switching on amps will be normal, not something you get on £4k onkyo kit. You will be able to afford a HD display, it's unlikely to be plasma.

Its your money mate. Just go in there and ask them to stick a dvd on to give you a demo......its not hard, and if they make a fuss they are not worth dealing with.

As a salesman as such, I'd demo to anyone, it's my job to convince them from there that they should buy from me. If I want to charge more money I have to justify that. Go for a demo, let them give you the sales pitch. If you are convinced, get out your credit card. Can't say fairer than that. OK you are not buying now, that should not cause offence bearing in mind £3k is a lot of some people's money. If they think it's poor you should do your research, you are in the wrong shop.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom