• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is spicey food bad for your health?

Setenza

Prominent Member
I had a can of this yesterday along with some microwave rice (Avuncular Benjamin brand).

http://www.staggchili.co.uk/range/dynamite.htm

I got half way through this delightful product and could no longer feel my tongue. But like a man, I persevered.

Within five hours I had acute abdominal pains and other sundry side effects (I'm trying to keep this thread relatively civilised). I was still suffering today.

As a youth I would often choose the "hottest" meal on the menu, out of bravado. I don't anymore, being far more discerning and adult :rolleyes:. Do such excessively spicey dishes have long term health ramifications?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Go on you wuss, get it down you :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

When I was young, I'd neck any Vindaloo you could throw at me :rotfl:

Sheer bravado, as you suggest :thumbsup:

Now, I have a more discerning pallette, I'll have you know :)

I believe capsicums are good for you :thumbsup:

But by the same token, burnt toast has links with causing cancer :thumbsdow

Personally, I think it's all a load of proverbials, so I eat what I like and just keep my eye on the fat, even though I'm pretty skinny.

My attitude is, I'll peg it via the kidney route :beer:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
So do I, but not when it makes you pass blood.

If it's red, no problem :rolleyes:

Obviously something a bit wrong, but there you go, I've only had that problem for 20 years.

Q: Most likely occupation for piles and bleeding?

A: Soldier, because of having to hold it.

Xerstead

Established Member
Mmmm... may have to give that a go. Ingrediants look ok.

I used to order the Vindaloo's untill I went out with my work mates. The Korma's came out and were far hotter than usual. Then the other dishes in order of burn factor each a deeper shade of red. All hotter than expected. I managed it, just, thanks to a few beers. Been more cautious since.

It's probibly indigestion/acid reflux getting to you. Spicy food can help stimulate or irritate the digestive system resulting in a few minor problems (bad wind and runny poo,) but should do no lasting damage.
Just thinking about it, it may be irritating an existing medical condition, so if symptoms persist see a doctor.

Just re-read you post, if you're passing blood call a doctor.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Mmmm... may have to give that a go. Ingrediants look ok.
It's probibly indigestion/acid reflux getting to you. Spicy food can help stimulate or irritate the digestive system resulting in a few minor problems (bad wind and runny poo,) but should do no lasting damage.
Just thinking about it, it may be irritating an existing medical condition, so if symptoms persist see a doctor.

Pretty much agree with that :)

The gaffer suffers severe pain via reflux and indigestion :thumbsdow
But she always goes for the mild stuff and it doesn't help.
I guess she's just susceptible to spicey grub :(

Fortunately, that means anything spicey is left to me :D

Not funny though, as all sorts upsets her stomach.

Personally, I don't think it's down to a particular food, but more likely down to the particular person.

Some people are just lightweight :rolleyes: ;)

Ian J

Banned
I don't suppose that the strength of the chilli has any long term effects but I doubt whether any tinned prepared food is beneficial.

Looking at the list of ingredients shows the largest ingredient being water with only 23% beef but what it doesn't tell you is what part of the beast the beef is derived from and I'm willing to bet it isn't prime beef.

The whole can contains 12.7g of fat of which 7g is saturated fat.

Why do you eat rubbish food like that when the fresh ingredients are so cheap and readily available. I know if takes longer to cook than just heating up a can but it isn't particularly time consuming or difficult

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom