1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sound formats s/ware or h/ware?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Harj, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    This may be a stupid question, but im drunk and i need to know.

How are different sound formats converted? i.e dd 5.1 and dts and thx. Is it a hardware conversion or a software conversin? If s/w is it possible to upgrade amps?

Am I going to be roasted for asking this?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Wait until a few people have replied and then go back and amend your question to something completely different.

3. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    You need the hardware decoders/processors to decode the formats but they are programmed with software!!

In some cases you can reprogram the chips for a newer format but only if the chips have the available processing power.

Onkyo upgraded one of their amps to PL2 with a software upgrade. Newer formats like DTS 24/96 need faster/better processors hence a hardware upgrade (Denon A1SE upgrade).

If you´ve got a hangover maybe you should have drunk a pint of water before you went to bed:D

4. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Not a bad queston for a drunk hey? I was wondering as pc are easily upgradable, so rather than fork ot for a new pc, u just upgrade. Likewise if the only thing missing on my amp is THX, why would i need to buy one just for the sake of it while my urrent amp pleases me no end?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Apart from some high end amps they are not upgradeable as it is not in the manufacturers interests to make them so.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    THX is not a surround sound format but rather a quality standard.
    I don't think THX would allow a SW upgrade as the HW has to follow very strict standards, too.

And I guess no, why make a product upgradable if they can sell you a new one? ;)
    Actual point being is rather the limitation of the HW, e.g. DACs or processing power.

Check out the upgrade for the Denon AVC-A1SE, initally supposed to be a SW only upgrade but now comes with a new PCB, costing a whooping GBP600. Else it wasn't possible.