Is SONY the only manufacturer to ....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NickHK168, Oct 18, 2005.

1. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... adds Progressive Scan selectable via hardware/button on the machines?

I had to replace my old Pioneer 575 because, I found that having to go thru menus as the only way to switch back and forth from Prog to Interlace was a real nuisance.

Sometimes, if the night before I forgot to switch back to Interlace after watching a video on my Proj (connected via Component), the following day my 6 y/o son at home could not watch DVDs because the picture would not show on the TV set (connected to the 575 via S-Video).

After a long search I could find that, where I live (Hong Kong), SONY seems to be the only brand that offers such feature, that is, Prog Scan/Interlace selecteable via button on the DVD front panel. Is that the same elsewhere?

I wonder what would happen to someone who happens to have only a TV connected via Composite/S-Video if he/she accidentally switched to progressive.

How is it possible to switch back to interlace thru menus in a situation like that???

Is it me or many manufacturers just do not think when they design their machines?

:eek:

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    The pioneer 757ai UK model has a button on the front to select progressive scan. I think the 868avi also has one as well.

3. Mec

Mec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    There is also one on the front of my Samsung Dvd Recorder as well

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I have the NAD T562 at home and pretty certain the button is in the centre of the remote.

5. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you fr yr input.
    I actually have a Panasonic E85H DVD Recorder that does not even need to be switched between the two modes. In fact, it can output Iterlaced thru S-Video/Composite and Progressive Scan thru Component at the same time.
    But, other shortcomings (such as the fact that I have to swicth the timer off if the TV signal is set to PAL and I want to watch a NTSC DVD Video and viceversa) forced me to buy a standalone player for the specific purpose of watching DVDs.
    Anyway, the thread is about DVD Players! Please let's stick with players only! :)

6. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not sure about the Denon 1910 but the 2910 and 3910 allow different switching on the front panel.
    It might be that the s-video can be one and composite/DVI/HDMI another.
    They also play PAL/NTSC