Is someone trying to scam me???

Adrenochrome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received an international phone call this afternoon at the office from someone saying they were from B.T.

They asked if i paid for calls and line rental to b.t I said yes they said good then you shall soon be paying only half of the line rental charges blah blah we shall send you out the information.

They then went on to say i would only be eligible for this if i pay by direct debit and can you just confirm your bank details.

I smell a rat here and say well you should have my bank details as i already pay by direct debit.
She then says why would i have your bank details here and asks for the again.

I then say i will never give my bank details out over the phone and shall wait for the information pack mentioned earlier in the call to come through before i do anything.

She then says goodbye and hangs up.

How would they be able to scam me if i did give my bank details though?

Adrenochrome.

Doesn't sound good, I think you did the right thing.

Sounds very dodgy.. I'm not sure excatly what use your bank details would be to a scammer, but you never know... maybe setup a spoof DD agreement using a forged signature or something? :confused:

Adrenochrome said:
How would they be able to scam me if i did give my bank details though?

Adrenochrome.

Identity Fraud.

At the very best you would have changed your telecoms provider from BT to whoever she represented without your knowledge.

Ian J said:
At the very best you would have changed your telecoms provider from BT to whoever she represented without your knowledge.

She actually said she was from B.T. :eek:

Sounds well dodgy.

I don't think BT is chopping their line rental in half for anybody at the moment.

The Dude said:
Sounds very dodgy.. I'm not sure excatly what use your bank details would be to a scammer, but you never know... maybe setup a spoof DD agreement using a forged signature or something? :confused:

You don't need a signature to set up a DD anymore... :eek:

... Also, NEVER give ANY information to cold callers. If you are vaguely interested in their wares, ask them for their contact details and call them back. :lesson:

Ian J is right, i think something similar to this was mentioned on watch dog where the sales person just says what ever to sign you up! you did well to hang up!

mh123 said:
You don't need a signature to set up a DD anymore... :eek:

that's a bit scary :(

I'm amazed how some people will discuss details of their telecomms when they have no idea who's at the other end of the phone. I have a standard reply for telecomms salespeople - "Sorry, but for security reasons we do not discuss our telecomms details on the phone. If you want to offer an alternative service, please do it in writing".

Not had one letter yet.

Adrenochrome said:
She actually said she was from B.T. :eek:

BT could stand for anything......Bombay Telecoms for example :)

Nick_UK said:
I have a standard reply for telecomms salespeople - "Sorry, but for security reasons we do not discuss our telecomms details on the phone. If you want to offer an alternative service, please do it in writing".

I also have a standard reply and that is to tell people that I won't consider changing my service provider to anyone that doesn't respect the TPS and that also gets rid of people fairly quickly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom