Is Sky's £49 HD Box Offer Going To Hit VM?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Flugzeugler, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Flugzeugler

Flugzeugler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Having had a HD capable TV since 2005 and with precious little HD material on VM, I have ordered Sky's special offer and will run it alongside my VM+ box until June when my current commitment to VM finishes. If VM haven't come up with a reasonable choice of HD content by then, it will be goodbye VM for me.

Surely it is time for VM to get its finger out and provide us with a selection of HD channels.

I had a play with a Sky HD box in Curry's and was astounded to see three pages of HD Channels. The menu system responded a lot more quickly than VM's box.

If VM aren't worried, I think they should be.:lesson:

2. BikeNutt

BikeNutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I'm certainly hoping this will be another HD wake-up call for VM... :rolleyes:

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    I would think that it will hit them and, let's be honest, they'll only have themselves to blame if it does. My sister has the V+ box and I cannot believe that the only HD channel she has access to seems to be BBC HD. I know I have been on at her for quite some time to change to Sky as she, like many others no doubt, has an HD ready TV and really no HD content to show on it - certainly makes no sense to me.

Time will surely tell.

Cheers,

Martin.

4. Kebabhead

Kebabhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    I rang retentions last week as I want to upgrade to V+

Mentioned the Sky offer they didn't seem bothered said I could have the V+ for £99. Wouldn't budge

I'm thinking of cancelling TV with them now

5. StuartJB

StuartJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When I got my V+ box I had two HD channels as I had a trial ITV channel as well as the BBC trial. I've now got one. :thumbsdow

If they don't start getting some live HD sports soon, then I'll be ditching VM after a long time with them as the £49 offer looks good.

6. drljames

drljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Am dumping my V+ box (even though its never played up.. been good). but lack of HD had done it.. and the 49quid Sky Deal.

Will miss catchup TV and the 3rd Tuner.

Will be keeping virgin broadband and phone though.. also the free 2nd TV box.

Retentions told be that there wasnt any difference with Sky Sports and Sky Sports HD.. as their V+ upscaled!! Grrr

:)

7. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Pretty much certain. I switched to Virgin when we moved house early last year and just signed up for Sky+ HD. That's a Virgin VIP customer they've lost.

8. speedway

speedway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Must agree with PjPip, I moved from SkyHD to V+ VIP package 11 months ago when we moved house, now seriously thinking of getting the old SkyHD box out from the back of the cupboard.
    OK I think V+ is more versatile but the box is like a slug in operation, and locks up big time.

The only thing is the cost the VIP package is good value set against SKY and virgin phone/broadband.

9. joffahall

joffahall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    well i found out about the sky HD offer last week off about 10 of my friends and family as most of us are on VM but have HD tv`s. we have all been VM customers for a long time and infact im the one thats been with VM the least amount of time (4 years).

i got a phone call today off my mates dad to say that he is getting sky HD installed in 3 weeks time so that makes 11 customers i know of that VM have lost and that is in the space of less than a week.

im serously looking at the offer from Sky but its just the fact that ill have to pay about £9.00 more for sky HD and i will loose the second box i have in my sons room (as sky multiroom is extortional).

if i can knock my phone and BB down to minimum (2 for £20) as we dont have no BT phone lines where i live, and keep the box in my sons room on free medium tv then i may get sky HD.

10. walkingman1

walkingman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been withvm for a while now and think along the same lines as you, i was told by vm cs that this month there 'might' be some movement in getting hd channels on vm, i am not holding my breath.

i think, and it is only my opinion, that vm customers are being fobbed off with a very poor service.

I am considering going to sky.

:mad:

11. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Maybe this Sky HD offer is so good for a reason. Perhaps VM will be adding SKY HD and are not allowed to tell anyone yet, so SKY are locking in as many new people as they can before the change. :D

I don't suggest for a minute that this is a fact or even a rumour other than from me - just hoping there is something for us VM users to grab onto for HD soon.:lease:

12. Flugzeugler

Flugzeugler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That is a good point and is entirely possible. It is just the sort of thing Sky would do!

Luckily for me, I had a small windfall recently which will fund Sky HD for twelve months so if VM come up with something before June, they might just keep me.

13. drljames

drljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Am just getting rid of my V+ box, keeping the 2nd cable box upstairs.. 10MB virgin broadband and phone. for £27 quid.

14. ScottBT

ScottBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Still only got 2 tuners making it useless for me.

15. jwball

jwball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The word you are looking for is extortionate

16. d3m0n

d3m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'll be looking to ge a similar deal when i all them tomorrow as i have just signed up for SKYHD, got a bit long in the tooth waiting for the HD stuff to turn up. Thought it was bad enough when i got the first TV drive and there were only 2 channels...that was years ago!

17. Blu4KHD

Blu4KHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +427
    I have to agree with most of you on here the HD is pretty non existent on VM even though i just signed into a new deal in dec 08 for 12 months, largely due to the fact i got a very good deal.

I would jump ship to sky in an instant but for me they only have 1 HD channel i need and thats Sky Sports all the rest i dont need, here is my reasoning.

1. I dont need the movies as i get all the latest Blu rays mostly from the states so a good few months in advance of Sky Movies plus the fact there is no Dolby trueHD or DTS-HD MA broadcast on satellite.

2. I get a rock solid 20mb internet connection with VM, with normal ADSL i doubt if i could get any where near 5mb with fluctuation as well at best, the 20mb also allows me to get hold of lost,fringe,prison break in HD before sky broadcasts them and without adverts another bonus

if sky ever drop that silly £10 charge for HD and allow me just to subscribe to Sky Sports then count me in but i cannot see this being anytime soon.

Roll on 50mb from VM:D

18. Flugzeugler

Flugzeugler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    You can change your TV to Sky and keep VM for your internet.

19. Blu4KHD

Blu4KHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +427
    Yes i could but i would not get the discount i am getting now on 20meg and XL phone and XL TV, I i went with sky the 20meg is £37.50 a month plus Phone line then sky HD with sports and the silly £10 charge.

Not worth it

20. PRODIGY8

PRODIGY8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm seriously considering jumping ship too, I still have the original TV drive from the NTL days and there is less content now then there was then.

Virgin really need to realise that people want HD, infact I think I only know 1 person with a NON HD TV!

I would even pay more a month to get it too!! Over the last 2 years I have heard rumours that there will be extra HD content coming to virgin............but nothing.:mad:

The volume issue with the V+ box still hasn't been addressed, this has been going on for well over a month now. Not too mention we don't even get DD 5.1 on the sky film channels!

That said, I love virgin BB and would never use ADSL way too slow. So I would definetly keep virgin for BB.

21. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I too have thought about going to SkyHD but am concerned when I read that the Sky HD channels are only slightly better quality, if at all, than the better quality VM SD channels. Whats the point of shelling out extra for only a slight improvement.

David

22. Geezer69

Geezer69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Trust me David - I have had both (V+ & SKYHD) and SKY HD is a lot better. Simply stunning :thumbsup:

23. Johnboy_1975

Johnboy_1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What are the sky charges for:

HD?
    Multiroom?
    Sky+?

Can you have freeview TV + HD, or do you need 3 mixes (£17ish)

24. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    ATB

Max

25. t11rmh

t11rmh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'd rather stick needles in my nether regions than go to Sky...

26. Flugzeugler

Flugzeugler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    :rotfl:

I would prefer to stay with VM, but they just aren't providing the content I want.

27. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sky+ HD installed today and there is no way that V+ standard definition channels are better than Sky HD, I don't know what all the posts saying otherwise are on about. If you're after the best picture quality then Sky+ HD wins hands down.

I know these things are subjective but with both boxes side by side on the same setup, the difference is clear. It's just a shame the new Sky boxes don't have component out anymore - I'm going to have to upgrade the Amp ;)

28. richiej

richiej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    What HD channels do you get for your £9.75 p.m PJ? Been looking around the Sky site and it doesn't seem very clear.

Must admit that I'm very tempted to ditch Virgin and go Sky. Even with my £25.45 "loyalty" discount I think that Sky might work out cheaper for me, and yesterday Sky offered me a free phone install too!!

I have: XL phone £18.95....Caller ID £ 1.75....L Broadband £25.00
    XL TV £22.00 and, with ebilling, a £26.45 discount on the above prices. I also have a second line costing £11.00 with free week-end calls and no caller ID.

Sky phone line rental is £10. This includes caller ID (a free service), and includes free evening and week-end calls. The equivalent to Virgin's "L" package, although calls made to a mobile will be cheaper than Virgin's basic phone package even with their £1.50 "Mobile" option. If I upgrade the phone to unlimited, this costs an extra £5.00. I would now get the equivalent to Virgin's XL package, calls to mobiles become even cheaper and I now get free International calls to 20 different countries. Even better than Virgin's XL package with Mobile and International options (an extra £3.00). And with the wife having a friend in Belgium this deal sounds pretty good!!

Broadband is now free for a basic service, or £5 for what I have now.

TV starts at £16.50, and if I look at the channels that the kids watch and the wife watches, I could probably get away with 3 packs (£18.50).

If my thoughts are right, Sky are looking like a good option :eek:

29. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    you will get *everything* minus the sports channels and film channels ( which you will get if you subscribe to those to ) .... not just the hd channels of the ones you subscribe too..

So basically MTV HD .... Discovery HD .... sky one HD etc etc...

pretty good selection even if you are only on cheapest Package :thumbsup: about 15 channels orso ?

30. miltsharman

miltsharman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My contract is up for renewal on Feb 14th - 2years after i signed up for the Virgin HD myth.
    Currently I'm paying:
    2 x lines at £11 each: media package £11.50 (Large?) broadband £18.00 (M 2meg) V+ box £5.00 billing (full) £2.00 plus a £9.50 discount Totals £49 per month

Before I do renew I have tried to check out the Sky HD offer and cost it with the Virgin media packages
    So far am considering :

1 abandoning the the Virgin TV for the sky HD box and HD basic package. So Id keep 2 lines and 2meg broadband
    2 Sticking with virgin and upgrading the TV to XL and broadband 10meg

trouble is i find all the permutations confusing and the websites so difficult to work out what costs what:mad:

Can anyone give some recommendations/advice ?:lease: