Is Sky Sports UHD now HDR?

snerkler

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
As the title says is sky sports UHD now HDR? The reason I ask is that no matter what setting I try on my TV (Samsung QLED Q9) I always find HDR a little dull/dark compared to regular TV and think it looks a little unnatural, and now Sky Sports UHD looks like this for the premiership this season.

I wish you had the option not to have certain channels in HDR and just have them in UHD as on the whole I’m really not a fan on HDR :(

As the title says is sky sports UHD now HDR? The reason I ask is that no matter what setting I try on my TV (Samsung QLED Q9) I always find HDR a little dull/dark compared to regular TV and think it looks a little unnatural, and now Sky Sports UHD looks like this for the premiership this season.

I wish you had the option not to have certain channels in HDR and just have them in UHD as on the whole I’m really not a fan on HDR :(
If you go into the settings in Sky Q and change the picture resolution to 2160p 8-bit you should just get UHD without HDR.

If you go into the settings in Sky Q and change the picture resolution to 2160p 8-bit you should just get UHD without HDR.
Thanks very much for this. Will it deteriorate the image quality in any other way?

Thanks very much for this. Will it deteriorate the image quality in any other way?
I've not needed to try it myself. I read about it on the Sky Community Forum. I wouldn't have thought that it would affect the image quality. I've not read that it has. You'll be able to see for yourself I guess.

Hi my tv is Samsung Q95t it’s uhd and hdr but sky sports now when I press uhd to watch it goes so dark I have to change it to 8 bit not 10 bit why if my tv is hdr , I guess I am doing something wrong

Hi my tv is Samsung Q95t it’s uhd and hdr but sky sports now when I press uhd to watch it goes so dark I have to change it to 8 bit not 10 bit why if my tv is hdr , I guess I am doing something wrong
In the settings on mine there is a HDR+ setting/option that I have enabled for watching HDR channels which makes a big difference, but with the default gamma of HL3 it's still somewhat muted.

The problem is not with HDR on Sky Q but with the settings on your TV.
I've not said that it's a problem with the HDR, just that I'm not a fan. I have backlighting maxed out and all the contrast etc settings set to give me the brightest image and I still find it too dull. Even my wife said "what's up with the TV" when I went into the Sky planner whilst watching footy.

I'm sure some will say that I watch regular TV too bright and therefore HDR looks dull, but I just wish there was a way to brighten HDR, like having a backlight+ setting or something ;)

HDR on the footie looks fantastic on my Samsung Q90R. Regular TV my Backlight is 19 and then when HDR kicks in it goes to 50. Image is a lot brighter and the colours really pop. HDR should be the opposite of dull.

HDR on the footie looks fantastic on my Samsung Q90R. Regular TV my Backlight is 19 and then when HDR kicks in it goes to 50. Image is a lot brighter and the colours really pop. HDR should be the opposite of dull.
My backlight is 50 for normal TV :eek: My lounge is very bright though with a lot of sunshine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom