Is Sky HD Picture & Sound quality as good as a Blu Ray disk film?

brad123

Is Sky HD Picture quality as good as a Blu Ray disk film? Selling my Blu Ray player as don't buy films no more usually download on Sky etc. I have a Panasonic PTAE3000 projector. Thing is though is the Sky HD rented film as good quality as a standalone disk in a Blu Ray player? Same for sound too I suppose?

Thanks

GoingGoingGone

Distinguished Member
Is Sky HD Picture quality as good as a Blu Ray disk film? Selling my Blu Ray player as don't buy films no more usually download on Sky etc. I have a Panasonic PTAE3000 projector. Thing is though is the Sky HD rented film as good quality as a standalone disk in a Blu Ray player? Same for sound too I suppose?

Thanks
Rented movies, especially recent ones, can look OK going by my experience of Google Play and Amazon rentals but sound doesn't match what a blu-ray with atmos can achieve. Don't know whether a Sky HD rented film is worse or better than from the two I mentioned.

Although technically a streamed movie can't be as good as a blu-ray one as there isn't the same data bandwidth available which will usually show up as more noise and artifacts in part of the image.
THis is more likely to show up with a projector due to the larger 'screen' size.

Why don't you answer the question yourself by comparing a blu-ray movie you have with a rental of it from Sky HD. It's your eyes which will give the best answer not others opinions...

gibbsy

Not in my opinion although I have never paid for a film download with Sky. I base my opinion on series like Game of Thrones, the picture quality on the blu ray disc is considerably superior to the Sky broadcast as is the sound quality, especially if you have an Atmos set up.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Sadly, Sky HD sound quality (192 or 384 kbps) is worse than Sky SD sound quality (1536 kbps)

Why isn't it the other way round?

Nick

joffonon

The short answer to that is no: Sky HD quality is miles behind blu ray quality. The two aren't even comparable.
This. Also, Sky broadcasts at 50i, so 24fps material (such as film) suffers from the same PAL speed-up as PAL DVDs. Blu-ray on the other hand can encode film at 24p, so there's no speed-up.

choddo

I have to say I never notice the speed up on sky but no, the quality is not as good as Blu-ray. Sky UHD movies are pretty good but I'd say the difference there from a disc player is even more noticeable since they don't do HDR yet.

choddo

Sadly, Sky HD sound quality (192 or 384 kbps) is worse than Sky SD sound quality (1536 kbps)

Why isn't it the other way round?

Nick
Better encoder so it doesn't need 1.5Mb for sound? Jeez, Netflix can do a decent job with 1080p at 2Mb for the entire video stream!

ashenfie

Is it possible that the SD sound is uncompressed stereo PCM while the HD is 5.1 Dolby Digital?
The 5.1 from Sky is shocking regardless of excuse. Netflix is very good 5.1+ considering it's compressed.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom