Is sky HD good Value or Not

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gra123, Mar 24, 2006.

?

is Sky HD good Value or Not

Poll closed Apr 19, 2006.
  1. Good Value

86 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. Not Good Value

117 vote(s)
    57.6%
  1. gra123

gra123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    ok guys, there is a lot of feeling about this issue so let's get your opinion on it here instead of all sort of threads opening up.

2. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Considering the current cost of MPEG4 chips, I'd say yes.

3. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    salary/300*number of hours watching TV = value quotient

case closed.

4. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Sky £420 a year plus TV licence £120 equals a lot of money to some, suppose it depends what your income is.

5. White Noise

White Noise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm happy enough with the price for HD itself.

Looking at the 60 odd quid I'll pay with multiroom, it is all getting a bit pricey though. At least there shouldn't be any more charges for a good while.

As long as when the HD boxes become cheap enough to use a 2nd as a multiroom, they waive the extra £10 a month for that box.

6. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Nothing wrong with the price of the box - the issue for me is that the subscription cost of Sky is already high and they are going to ask another £10 a month for HD content.

I'm not going to be able to sell this one ot her indoors - the cost is just too high and its only worth it for me if I get the whole lot.

Question though is that if I pay the 299 for the box does it belong to me - ie If I decide to back out after the cheap prices disappear (I'm not a Sky subsciber just now) then would I keep the box or would Sky want it back?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yes the box will be yours, even if you refuse to honour the minimum 12 month subscription then the worse they can do is attempt to reclaim the cost of the subsidised installation and outstanding subs.

8. gra123

gra123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    anyone no if the thomson box is the only one avaliable? or can we expect one from Pace.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    AS you ahvent even seen whats on offer yet how can you make a judgement?

10. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    It's not good value for me simply because of the extra subscription charge, I don't mind the £300 for the HD box, although high, that was to be expected.
    However, being a multiroom subscriber, I was hoping the HD subscription would be waved, or reduced.

My current £52.50 per month, plus the HD subscription of £10 per month would cost me £62.50 per month, and ultimately £750 per year.
    Add to that the cost of the box, and you're already over a thousand pound. Too much for me unfortunately. :(

11. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    I would say yes good value for the hardware as for the subs we knew there would be extra but if it goes the same was as '+' then these could be free within 12-18mths. Also with being able to sell my modded (£160GB) pace SKY+ box this will make the purchase even cheaper!! :) :)

On another note we do not know if it will be good value until we have it installed and how many additional channels Sky will add over the next few years.

12. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Thomson only at the moment

13. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Good value? Very very subjective.

I can't get Telewest/C&W so its the only choice....

14. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    How can anyone say whether its good value or not when no one on here has seen it running live or have I missed something?

Surely everyones just buying on Skys saying its going to be amazing.

15. gilford

gilford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    At the end of the day if you want something now you have to pay the premium I'm afraid :(

I know if you think of it carefully it is around £60 a month but you are paying £50 now anyway so is £10 a month really going to break the bank?

Break it down as others have added up here -

£10 divided by 30 (average days in a month) = £3.33 a week
    £3.33 divided by 7 = 48p per day, a little more than a paper!

Now then, after forking out around £2k for a HD plasma, 48p per day is nothing to pay to get the best from your plasma :):):)

Just my thoughts ;)

16. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    We are buying it based on the premise it is High Def.

If they use low bitrates, I think we will have a good case to get our money back.

17. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Spot on, I'm with you on this Blakey and really wonder if the difference in quality is going to be that significant, nobody has experienced SKY HD yet and from all the hullaballoo going on you would think that it is going to blow us all away.

Saying that I need more space on my sky+ so I will buy the hd box anyway, just hate paying a monthly sub for the privelage of a few channels showing a picture that I will find difficult to notice from the norm.

18. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Will you? Ive seen excellent HD average HD and Poor HD. I have no idea what Sky HD will come in at. I assume as long as its HD then no one will be able to argue. Sky havent said what bitrates HD wil be broadcast at so for me until it launches theres no way of knowing whether its worth it.

19. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No one has seen Sky HD, but MANY of us have seen Foxes (and other US) HD services.

We expect them to be comparable.

20. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm not saying it wont be good but until launched people can do nothing but assume and therefore no one knows whether it will be any good until it launches.

As for Fox etc well on SD Channel 5 is way better than BBC or ITV so whos to say that Sky will be as good as Fox. OK its likely SKy HD will be good but until we can see for ourselves no one knows.

21. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,040
    I have a really good HD plasma with an HDMI lead waiting but I'm not sure about Sky HD just yet.

I'm okay with the £299 for the box

but like many I have trouble with the £10 a month

I know that in isolation £10 isn't very much but it will be pushing my subs above £50 a month which is a lot and a physiological barrier.

Another issue is what will I be getting for my money - there are very few channels and you may have to take out additional subs to get some of them.

Even within the few channels I suspect the available titles are limited so the repeat factor is going to be high.

I suspect that probability dictates that most of the stuff you want to watch will be only in SD - so you will end up watching HD as a showcase demo of your hardware and watching SD for entertainment.

I'm also concerned whether the HD channels will show just genuine HD material or whether it will include upscaled SD stuff to pad out.

A lot of people have compared the £10 to that of Sky+. I have Sky+ and wouldn't be without it. Even then I only got it when the £10 was waived (under certain conditions). But the main difference to me is that Sky+ is a service that enhances the whole Sky package, not just a handful of channels.

I've looked at the content of some of HD channels in the guide. I was surprised by the movies that were being offered when I looked - certainly not the ones I would have expected to be on the top of peoples lists. Everytime I have looked I would guess that, HD aside, peoples' general viewing preference would be better met by Movie Channels 1, 2 and 3 than by 9 and 10.

Installation being offered free! I expect the vast majority of applications already have Sky+. So what installation is required exactly - don't you just plug it in. There is no way on earth that I would pay for installation.

In summary the package is not as bad as could have been expected but the lack of material is going to stop me from being an early adopter.

Cheers,

Nigel

22. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    The way I look at it is the box is £299, and the minimum sub is £10 for 12 months, so total cost is £419. That seems like a fair price to me for a twin tuner, MPEG4 satellite receiver with PVR capabilities.

23. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    But apart from the MPEG4 receiver and access to limited HD content I already have these features with SKy+ and it's not costing me a penny.

24. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Considerering the content on SkyHD at the moment I don't see it a value for money at the moment, that could change in a couple of months though if the lineup improves.:)

Low is a bit subjective, low on HD would be high for SD so we will have to wait and see, If you think you are going to get any money back though I think you are sadly mistaken, we didn't get any money back when they lowered the digital SD bit rates did we.

25. gilford

gilford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Yes it is?

The £10 is for the HD channels, if you have a HD capable display it is well worth it in my opinion. Why else would you buy the display :confused:

26. Ethan2000

Ethan2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Well so far this year I have given up smoking (god knows how much that saved me ! about 20 roll ups a day I still miss it though :( ) I have also just changed my mobile to pay as you go as I wanst getting my moneys worth. So I am really happy with the price and I think after all the stuff I have given up I deserve it. I agree nobody has seen it yet in the flesh so to speak, but we have all watched HD clips and know what to expect.

Cant wait. :clap:

27. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    No Sky+ is not costing me anything, the £10 pm is waived because I have the Sports mix.

28. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I dont think its bad value but id rather the subs were less, £300 for the box isnt to bad and i imagine the £10 SkyHD payment will be droped some time in the future like the Sky+ subs was.
    The thing is if you want SkyHD its the price youve got to pay.

Andy

29. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Would you sign up to a DVD club without seeing a list of what movies you could rent ? Now we don't have to speculate any more about the price, but what you're going to get for your £120 a year extra is still very vague. Until there's a lot more channels in the line-up I will not be signing on the dotted line.

30. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Plenty of content listed on the Sky HD site, details of HD programmes on Movies, Sport, Artsworld, Discovery, National Geographic, SkyOne, etc. The biggest line-up of HD programming in Europe. Things like the National Trust : National Treasures 10 part series should be excellent in HiDef.