Is sky broadcasts anamorphic

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by roman-r, Dec 27, 2004.

1. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Borrowed my brothers Freeview and was appauled to find the widscreen broadcast wasn't anamorphic. This resulted in a much softer picture on my 36" CRT than I would have expected.

Is Sky the same?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Depends upon the channel and the actual program.
    Most widescreen programming on SKY1, SKYmovies & sports (BBC, ITV, CH4 and Five) are 16:9 anamorphic but there are some channels that broadcast programming in the Letterbox format.

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    By far the majority of widescreen broadcasts on both Freeview and Sky are anamorphic. Have you got the Freeview box set up correctly to output 16:9 or is it set to 4:3L (or similar depending on box)?

4. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Every single program/channel on my freeview box (Nokia) has been broadcast in anamorphic widescreen if available. Not once have have I had to alter the screen ratio on my TV. Are you using a fully wired Scart lead?

Liam.

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    He said that his widescreen picture wasn't anamorphic so that means the problem was the picture was letterbox widescreen zoomed up (unless he doesn't understand what anamorphic is and it appears he does). Unless he was watching one of the few non anamorphic widescreen transmissions that means his STB is setup for 4:3 letterbox as I suggested earlier.

6. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    bocar, I hear you load and clear and it's music to my ears.

As I mentioned, it's my brothers Freeview box (the original Nokia) and his telly is 4:3.

I couldn't understand how Freeview could get away with Letterbox pictures - it's really soft on a 36" TV but surprised though, as it's already broadcasting two formats - widescreen letterbox and 4:3 - so you say freeview actually sends an anamorphic version as well.

Also means it now has a major advantage on analogue broadcast as this seems always to be letterbox.

Or am I to be stood corrected once again :)

I really apreciate everyones input :thumbsup:

7. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been thinking about getting freeview for a while. I wouldn't even consider it if everything was broadcast letterbox! Letterbox is a word that should no longer exist in my opinion. (Apart from the things you post letters into.)

8. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You've got it right, there are a few letterbox transmissions but they are usually on the minor channels such as TCM (TUTV) and sometimes when they show an old copy of a film, but most is anamorphic. The same channels are 16:9 anamorphic or 4:3 on both Freeview and satellite.

The STB will have 3 settings 4:3 (crops the sides for 4:3 TV), 4:3L (letterbox for 4:3 TVs) and 16:9 (for widescreen TVs). If your brothers STB was set to 4:3L then you would have to zoom (rather than stretch) the TV picture thus producing a soft image.

9. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,936
    If he does understand it why would he describe the picture as "Soft"?

10. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Presumably because of fewer lines (lower resolution) causing the image to be less sharp when zoomed. "Soft" is a very subjective term that could mean several things, I took it to mean the sort of image when the picture is zoomed.

11. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    JaCee - keep up :laugh:

Bobcar - spot on. Letterbox will alway reduce resoloution on a widescreen picture by some margin, but causes no loss to a 4:3 screen.

Granddizzy - I'd agree entirely if it weren't for the fact that a larger population still watch TV on 4:3 sets. I think it makes Letterbox their best option unless the settop box is clever enough to sqash the picture and add black bars top and bottom for 4:3 sets.

Thanks again guys :thumbsup: