Is sky better than Virgin media?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by riccojames, Jan 20, 2008.

1. riccojames

riccojames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am thinking of changing to Sky due to a poor quality picture coming through my V+ box.

Would I get a better deal and picture if I was to switch and whats the best deal for all the basic channels and sky movies packages (I do not need sports).
    :cool:

2. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Well it's the only way you'll get High Def content to any extent at the moment, which is presumably what you want as you've posted this in the HD forum. All the package info is on the Sky website.

3. JF1980

JF1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    IMO Sky beats cable without even breaking a sweat. Virgin media isn't really any different to Telewest/NTL just re-branded. I've often noticed that the people who have cable are the ones who can't afford Sky or can't have a dish--if you can, go for it :thumbsup:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    You have to take into account how the other services are affected by going with either company for TV. The bundling aspect especially for VM means TV is basically a loss leader where as with SKY it's ISP that is thrown in to sweeten the TV deal.

So you go with SKY for TV then you are paying full whack and that may mean the VM phone and ISP are less attractive price wise, going with BT and SKY for phone/ISP then has to be factored in for a full comparison.

5. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    the advantage satalite has over cable is bandwidth, it has huge amounts to spare which allows the transmission of lots of HD channels at 90% of HD compression rates, the number of users has no effect on the network

cable has all the limitations of a network, they use high compression to save bandwidth and the more people that use it the more the network groans under the strain. The big advantage of a networked system is on demand viewing, which cant be done on a satalite based system. Sky get round this by repeating everything a zillion times :p

6. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Yes!

I have been a Sky customer since launch and have the choice of either offering, I have been a Telewest customer for a short while too!

I'm with Sky exclusively now, because at least there is an HD offering! :D

ATB

Max