Is Sky being fair to existing On Demand Customers?

Discussion in 'News' started by hodg100, Sep 2, 2013.

1. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    On Demand Connector offer upsets loyal customers

At the back end of last week, Sky cheerily announced to the World that its next generation of PVRs would, for the first time, come with built-in WiFi. This is good news; with the proliferation of on-demand content appearing on the platform, it should now allow most access as, let's face it, not that many have their router located close enough to the TV to allow for a wired connection.

At the same time, Sky also said that it was also launching a programme that would allow some customers to receive a device allowing their existing boxes to be given WiFi capabilities, free of charge. Again, on the face of it, this also sounded like good news and the On Demand Connector, as Sky call it, should simplify access to Sky’s On Demand Services for many.

At the time we posted the news, we weren’t quite aware of how restrictive the terms of the On Demand Connector offer were, however, and it’s only open to those that have never connected to the service at all. So that means, even if you’ve only hooked up a LAN cable once, to check what was on offer, you’re not eligible to receive a free device.

We can understand Sky’s reasoning in wanting to entice new customers with the offer but surely they should also be rewarding the loyal customer base who have helped grow Sky On Demand service, thus far?

[​IMG]

Indeed, Sky On Demand now reaches 2.7 million homes, in the UK, and registers an average of 6.2 million downloads a week so it can’t be doing badly for them but their reasoning that, if a customer already accessed On Demand their set-top box must already be connected and thus don’t require a wireless connector, seems flawed.

From the reaction to the news both on here and our Facebook Page, we know that this is simply not the case for many out there. As well as the instances of people running inconveniently long lengths of LAN cables, some will have forked out for mains line plug solutions so it seems just a tad unfair that their support for Sky has gone unnoticed by the Company.

The wireless connector is still available to those that have sampled On Demand previously and is priced at a - not ludicrous -£21.95 but we know many will feel aggrieved about to have to stick your hands in the pocket for something others, arguably less deserving, will be getting their hands on for nothing.

We think, that as an act of goodwill, Sky should open up the offer to existing customers and show them that their loyalty is appreciated. These things can’t be costing Sky a lot to produce and they seem more than willing to offer their NOW TV Box as a loss leader for that service, so why not the On Demand Connector too? We’re sure they’d soon recoup the costs once you’ve rented a movie, or two.

So readers, what do you think? Have your say in the comments below.

Attached Files:

2. marshy1

marshy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    We had the sky man to move our dish last month because of trees and he gave me two connectors free of charge so I can't see why they don't do this. It makes me think they care more about existing customers who stay loyal

3. ForsakenSound

ForsakenSound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still think I would have rather seen a gigabit port on the new STB as well as their Sky Hub! For media I want a smooth experience and the wireless speeds (not to be confused with the speed of the broadband service) fall off the further away you get from the router. Powerline is another option at distances.

Hell, lets also get off that crowded 2.4Ghz band and use N dual band with 5Ghz. 802.11ac is asking a bit much at the moment but we'll be looking out for that too in future :D

4. dazzer68

dazzer68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I mentioned this to them on the sky facebook page, asking why they are offering it to people who, obviosly arent even interested or wanting it as they havent ever onnected, and to those that have to have a lead going round the house and want to use it. Nothing. Seems unfair, but sky have never looked after their customers once they are signed up. Their reply, they can understamd the frustration and will pass it on. The default answer for many companys

5. studymum

studymum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know what I have done, I was out of contract so cancelled my subscription. My husband is now a new customer with Sky, giving us the new box for free, a new router and a juicy £100 M&S Voucher along with a few introductory discounts for the first 2 months or so. Loyalty is only given to those who give it back! ;)

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Hi, and welcome to the forums. I must say you have given me, and probably anyone else who reads this, food for thought.

Cheers,

Martin.

7. studymum

studymum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing to think about is obviously you will be re-contracting for 12 months, for us this isn't a problem. Also, for those like-minded people, the £100 M&S Voucher offer is only up until 5th September. Glad to have helped.

8. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Yes, I appreciate all that - still, as I said in my last post, food for thought though.

Cheers,

Martin.

9. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    I was on the phone with sky last week and they sent me one out for free which has now arrived. I have had both my boxes set up via LAN in the past and now 1 box is permenantly connected to the router and they give me the free wifi connector for the other box.

So it seems some existing customers are getting the free connector - but obviously there is inconsistancy as to how they are applying who gets one and who doesn't. Strange....

10. vibe666

vibe666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's perfectly fair. if you are an existing on-demand customer then you don't need one of their on-demand connectors as you either already have one or you've run an ethernet cable to your sky box. either way, it would cost them more to give one to everyone and their sister and invariably this cost would be passed on to the rest of us.

giving them away to people who need them to encourage it's use is a good result for all of us as more people using it mean it becomes more of a success and in time we will all be rewarded with more content as it becomes more popular.

if sky were to give us anything for free, i'd much prefer they dropped the HD sub tbh, it's much more annoying a cost to have to pay for something which should be a standard feature in the 2nd half of 2013.

11. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Sky were giving free Wireless connectors to anyone with Sky movies a while ago. It was posted by myself here and i managed to pick one up despite already having a wired connection downstairs and another Wireless unit upstairs.

I'm sure a few other AVF members also picked one up :eek:)

12. radiocaf

radiocaf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it's a tad annoying, I mean the connector I have now barely works as it is, and I only got that because my mom and dad had had enough of it having to be reconnected every day. Apparently I'm not eligible for a free one myself because I don't pay for Movies, and now this new one has come out, which is rumoured to be much more stable and power-friendly, I can't have one of them because my Sky installer connected me up via ethernet and showed me On Demand when it was installed in my house. It's absolute idiocy.

13. IanWilky

IanWilky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Is the new contract at the same address? I would have thought they would have closed that loophole a long time ago!?

14. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    Yeah, I've got one, don't need it, but it was free so I took it.