1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is shortening headphone cord possible?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Oct 20, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know how it is: you find a pair of cans you really like, and you don't just want to use them at home - you'd quite like to take them out for use with the portable. But with 18m of cord, that's not exactly practical. So the question is: Can headphone cord be shortened (easily, I mean, for someone like me who's not exceptionally technical)?

Any ideas are very welcome. Thanks :)

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Yes it's possible but the mass produced thin wire that comes with most of the lower priced headphones is enamel coated which can be a bit tricky. It looks like there is no insualtion but there is a thin layer of enamel over the bare wire (usually slightly colour coded). All this is hidden under the outer rubber/pvc coating.

What headphones have an 18meter lead???

You could also do a search over at head-fi.org in case someone has already replaced the cable on you make of headphone.

If tou don't fancy the attempt get one of those cable gizmos which you wrap the excess cable around.

Steve

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Steve!

I was slightly exaggerating - for comedy effect - the cord length; although I have spotted a cheap pair of Senny's with a 10m cord length :eek: ! I think wrapping up the excess is probably the best way to go. Just thought it was as simple as snipping the cord and rejoining with one of those electrical connector boxes you can use on table lamp flexes, etc.

4. Solidstate

Solidstate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
  5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0