Is Sharp P50 high def

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by yorkyred, Nov 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. yorkyred

yorkyred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi all and my first posting.

I find myself a touch confused. When visiting my local richersounds I noticed the wall of flat screens which all looked to be showing a form of high def image. By far and away the best picture as agreed by all in the shop was the Sharp 37 LCD p50 tv.

Yet the spec would suggest that it's resolution would not be high enough to show high deff.

I find this strange considering it looked far better showing the same images than the likes of a Pioneer 43 Plasma that is certainly hi deff with higher resolution.

Any help ?

2. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Nope its not high def... it is PAL optimised... I woudl guess that the screens were showing a standard PAL signal - either from a DVD or off-ar... this woudl explain why it looked better as the other screens would have to upsclale the PAL signal to a HD signal... this extra processing can degrade the signal as the TV's have to fiull in the gaps through a best "guess"....

3. yorkyred

yorkyred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for the reply and I would have asked the assistant if the shop had not been so busy.

The clarity was amazing and as it was actually advertising a Panny viera set showing flowers , landscapes I assumed it to be high deff.

4. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hmm, it still could have been a HD promo - the Sharp would have had to scale the image to its screen resolution - however if the HiDef clip was 1080i, the P50's 540 resolution would be a simple scale of 1/2...

5. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Well 540 lines is higher than 480, so it is High def compared to a NTSC Panel :D !

But it most certainly is not HDReady.........it offers short term pq benefits, but come the HD revolution it is the first name in the little black book :devil: .