1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Seleco 400 plus with prog/scan HD ready

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dreamer, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Dreamer

Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    As a new member i have been reading the various relevant threads especially the simon1967 one. I have the svp 400 plus with progressive scan and a Denon 2800 dvd player. With dvd i cannot say anything negative about the picture except detail in long distance shots. It is so natural looking and definitely a step up with progressive scan. Of course with the next leap forward into HD dvd i am waiting to make the change in the necessary equipment as i have just done with my new M&K 150 thx front and rear speakers with Arcam amp/pre-amp separates.
    What i need to know is my 3600hrs used projector with plastic lenses able to display HD to make a difference with any costs involved and has it the necessary connections?
    Another associated issue is the fan noise. It's not overly intrusive when you get used to it but i have read about the changing of the fan or building of a box around the pj.

Any comments?

2. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Chris Frost will no doubt correct me, he always does... So until you get a more authoritative answer, this is the best I can offer...

Firstly, I don't think the Seleco 400 actually supports progressive scan, well not from its component inputs anyway. It can take a RGBHV signal from its bnc inputs, so can accept a line doubled input from an external scaler. Everything else is scaled by its internal doubler.

I think it has a bandwidth of 30mhz, so not enough for HD. I never tried connecting mine to a PC, but seem to remember it was only capable of displaying VGA.

As for fan noise, I've owned 3 Selecos now, the last one I had had had the quiet fan mod (I'm sure there's too many hads in that sentence) that that made a huge difference. I never measured the sound, but subjectively it was much much quieter. I'd recommend the mod - I bought my projector like that, but imagine it's a DIY job if you can find the right place to source the fans from. As for building a hush box, the Seleco is so pretty it's a shame to hide it... It's a different story with my current pj - it's so ugly I can't wait to get a table built around it!

Andy

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi-Def DVD is a bit of a minefield. The standards have only just been ratified, so I think it will be sometime before we see HD-DVD players hitting these shores. There is hardware on sale in Japan, but it's pricey at the moment.

For HD-DVD to take off the players will have to be backwards compatible with existing standard definition TVs and progressive scan capable displays. That will be how you get HD-DVD on to your Seleco 400 plus.

In the mean time, a set of glass lenses will give your 400 picture the extra sharpness you are looking for. Changing the lenses means you'll need the projector reconverging, so take the time to have it done properly and you'll be pleased with the result.

Regards