Is SD from a Sky HD box better than cable and Freeview?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by TeresaTT, Sep 15, 2007.

1. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had Sky HD installed yesterday in preparation for the delivery of my new 50" plasma. I have currently connected it up to my 42" Panasonic PWD6 via component and while HD is very good, the SD output over component and scart is worse than Freeview from my Topfield PVR and digital cable via a TiVo.

The SD picture from the Sky box looks a bit out of focus and when I change to the same channel one one of my other sources, the picture is much clearer and sharper. I unplugged the scart from my TiVo and plugged it into my Sky box and the picture is still definitely softer from Sky over scart. I really don't like the soft Sky SD picture. When I upgrade to my 50", this soft picture will be magnified and look worse assuming, the HDMI output will give the same soft picture.

Do I have a faulty box or do I have to come to terms with an inferior SD picture to gain a few channels of HD?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The BBC, ITV and CH4 all offer lower quality broadcasts on Dsat (SKY have nothing to do with it) than on DTT (seems you have better Dcable as well) with only Five having better pictures on Dsat.
    As for the softness that could be a particular way the box processes the image (not really noticed it myself but I don't have a plasma:) ), you are using RGB output from the correct scart and not composite (PAL as SKY calls it)?

Never used component from SKY HD so not sure if you can output 576p, 720p or 1080i res (like you can on HDMI) and of course the digital link can offer benefits over the analogue scart (576i).

Whatever the result remember you have a no penalty cancellation option for X number of days if you are not happy.

3. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Starburst. I particularly noticed the difference on the rugby last night on ITV. I have now tried the S-Video out from the Sky HD box and it gives a much more acceptable picture. I feel a lot happier about Sky now.

The Sky box outputs HD over component and my PWD6 scales it down very well indeed. It's difficult to believe that my plasma is only a low resolution SD screen when I'm watching HD.

I was defintely using RGB out on the Sky box and contrast set to medium. When my new screen arrives I will have a lot of experimenting to do to see what is best for SD. It will have HDMI, component, S-Video and VGA for which I have an RGB to VGA converter. However, I can't wait to watch HD on my new 50" Fujitsu screen.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    It's almost become a running joke (tradegy) how bad ITV1 is on satellite especially when showing sport, their transponders are overloaded with identical broadcasts for their regional coverage.
    The only bright spot is that ITV have announced a HD channel next year and have committed to more Dsat capacity when the new satellite is on line which may also improve their SD broadcasts as the load is spread out more.

Even though s-video is technically inferior to RGB it isn't unknown for a TV to do a better job with the connection, I used s-video over RGB with my previous TV (SONY 41" Rear Pro SD display) since it looked better to my eyes.