Is Screen burn covered under John Lewis Warranty?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by biggy7, Jan 1, 2012.

1. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    hi All

We have a Samsung Plasma 50" which i bought from JL about 3 years ago (2 years Warranty left)

we have noticed for few months now that there is screen burn of cartoon network logo in the corner but have ignored it thinking JL wont do anything about it but just had my relatives around who say JL should repair it under warranty so got me thinking!

Would JL take this in for repair under warranty? anyone done this for screen burn?

any advice? call them first or pop in to local JL?

Thanks!

2. GoNz0

GoNz0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    if you pop in your going to get someone who will tell you to call tech support, best bets to phone and ask.

3. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    You'll do well to get it replaced after three years.
    If it is screenburn, it can't be repaired and if you read the manual, there will be a disclaimer saying its normal for plasma screens and not covered by warranty.

4. slc79

slc79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    This is a question that often pops up, and according to consumer rights in some countries a disclaimer in the manual doesn't mean the manufacturer can't be held responsible. If a product can't handle normal use, they have to inform about this at the time of buying. I know of cases where screens have been replaced due to screen burn because consumer rights states that it's unreasonable that a product can't be used for what it is meant for.

5. slc79

slc79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Yet again, if you can't use the tv for watching regular content, it's not fit for purpose, and then customer should be informed BEFORE the purchase is being made. There's even been trials in Norway on this, and it's concluded with that as long as it's not mentioned BEFORE buying the product, this is covered by consumer rights regardless of what the manual says. This is also how it works in the UK as far as I've understood.

6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

I agree with this.

It is important to remember that a guarantee does not replace or limit a customer's rights. Customers are entitled to raise a problem with you regarding a product for up to six years from the date of purchase (five years from the discovery of a problem in Scotland) regardless of the terms of any guarantee. Customers are entitled to rely on the remedies available to them under law (outlined in this guide) rather than their rights under a guarantee, if they wish.

This means that if a customer complains to you about an item that is not fit for purpose, does not match the description, or is not of satisfactory quality, you must deal with their complaint - you cannot force them to use their guarantee.
    Your own returns policy

Some retailers decide that it makes good business sense to have their own returns policy that offers customers more rights than they have under the law - for example, promising them a full refund for undamaged goods, up to a certain number of weeks.

If you chose to offer the customer more rights than the law required, you could impose conditions on the customer, for example
    • a requirement to produce the original till receipt
    • a requirement to return the goods unused and in unopened packaging
    • a deadline for returns
    • an offer to exchange or offer a credit note, but not to refund.
    These conditions only apply to the additional rights you are offering. You cannot impose these conditions where a customer has a legal right to return goods. This is why the words 'this does not affect your statutory rights' are often included at the end of store returns policies.

Taken from here http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,719
    I agree too.

A manufacturer of a TV can't really get away with putting 'get-out' clauses in it's warranty. They do it with screen-burn and with stuck/dead pixels...buzzing too I think...having acceptable limits. For example, the pixel issue. If I buy a TV, I want all of the pixels to work and I should be able to expect that. I've paid my money, got my TV home and it has three dead pixels...but is 'within tolerance.' Rubbish...it's faulty and I think most would agree with such.

Imagine if you had screen-burn, dead pixels and buzzing, but all were deemed 'within spec' by the manufacturer. Again, nonsense...the TV is faulty.

Manufacturers can put whatever they want into their warranty's, but this doesn't mean it's gospel. I have recently noticed that regarding screen-burn, Panasonic say that you shouldn't leave static images on screen for a 'long time.' Who decides what a 'long time' is?

I think Samsung recommend no longer than 30 mins. So I've got my brand new TV for watching football on Sky, and I can only watch 30 mins of each half because the score will be displayed permanently on-screen for 45 mins if I watch the entire first-half. Once more, I think most would agree this is unreasonable and, if watching a game of football results in screen-burn...I would expect this to be seen as a fault, regardless of what Samsung say.

Manufacturers know that channels have logos etc. What about black bars? They tell you not to watch too much 4:3 material, but know full well how much material people will watch with horizontal black bars.

These warranty's mean nothing really.

8. fluxo

fluxo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Manufacturers could put a sticker on their tvs with these warnings.
    I doubt they'd do that, though - it would absolutely kill off sales. A
    lot of what is warned about is actually very typical real world usage.

Imagine if a car manufacturer put in the manual "do not drive on A
    or B roads for periods exceeding 30 minutes".

9. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    just an update

called JL and they getting an engineer out this saturday to look at the TV

im also having other issues aswell as screen burn, buzzing noise from rear, red tinge on screen (quite bad when watching football), contoruing on people faces so im hoping this will alll be visible to the engineer.

this screen image retention is also pretty bad , takes a few minutes of a static image for it to stay on screen for 5mins or so before it goes, surely that cant be within specs, also HD picture is quite grainy too.

hopefully they will take it way for repair!

10. slc79

slc79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Again, none of this is being told the customer BEFORE the purchase, and is automatically void as far as consumer rights go. The manufacturer CAN'T take away right from you after the purchase, if they think this is a real issue they need to inform you about it before purchasing, for example on the box. This is something they will never do, as that will scare people from buying the product.

11. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Indeed the point is it doesnt matter. It may be but OP needs to read tge small print.

OP all you can do is be polite and see what they say, if they wont do anything you can politely tell them you are aware of your consumer rights. JL do have a good reputation so I dont think youll have an issue.

An example of ysing the SOGA. I got a fan from Argos, after a few months it went dead, so got a replacement, the blade of the replacement fan broke off so I got another replacement. Then that replacement failed, this time though I only had my original receipt with me so was told it was out of warranty so theres nothing I can do, said I was aware of my rights and the manager was called. I explained what happened and he gave me a replacment out of "good will" despite my reciept showing 2010.

12. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Had this sort of IR on my PX80, even retained its own menues after being up a couple of secs. The set improved over time with no lasting damage, but yeah with other issues too it needs sorting. My last post is a bit out of sync as my phone didnt post it about 3 hours ago.

13. GoNz0

GoNz0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    the very brief spell my company had doing repairs for richer sounds took me to a set a bit like yours, I didn't even take it off the wall, report went along the lines of.

• needs a new plasma panel due to screen burn
    • new mainboard due to serious colour issue after factory reset (nah i didn't)
    • needs new PSU due to excessive buzzing
    • on a plus note the frames ok
    • due to the above reccomend replacing TV as repair is not economical due to sum of parts exceeding value of set
    fingers crossed you get an engineer like me :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  14. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I hope mate :)

Many thanks for the info!

15. GoNz0

GoNz0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    maybe like RS they invite you to the store to discuss a new tv :)

but with it being an ST30 they will just send a new one.

16. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    No no, it's a 3 year old 50" Samsung 1080p plasma,

I'm happy with it as it's in a spare room but just want the screen burn issue sorted really. The main lounge has a 50gt30 which to be frank is light years ahead in quality.

17. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,719
    I think you can split consumers into two distinct groups in these situations. You have those who will always refer to the warranty as laid down by the manufacturer/store..."but it says 'X' and 'Y' in the manual"...or..."the retailers policy is to do 'A', 'B' or 'C'." They believe what they read and that's it.

Then you have those who can reason 'outside the box' and realise that they can construct a fair and reasoned debate as to why the warranty/contract isn't as straightforward as it may seem. They'll realise their rights and fight for them to be upheld...instead of being 'fobbed-off.'

I know which group I'm in:D

18. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    just an update to this

had the engineer out today who seemed like a Samsung Engineer from Martin Dawes

told him about the buzzing, he said it was normal?

showed him image retention from just 1 minute of sky's tv guide on the screen and he instantly said it needs to go in.

also told him about the red tinge and false contouring which he made a note of.

left me a loan tv with "martin dawes" sticker on it and said they will let me know, he said it needs a new screen and they dont repair them so probably a new tv

just for reference it was a Samsung PS50 series plasma, so not sure what they will offer me if they cant repair it

19. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Just had a call from jl. They have written the tv off and are giving me £600 to put towards a new tv

Can't faulty that and really impressed,

Thinkng of a pana 50" st30 for Just over £600 with price match with richer sounds.

It's for a spare room and will be used mainly for sky hd.

What you reckon? (I already own a 50" gt30)

20. GoNz0

GoNz0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    dout u will get a price match now as stocks are gone.

21. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    yeh good point, il send one in anyway to see what i get

richer doing 50" St30 with 2 glasses for £699

JL do the 50" st30 for £699 no glasses

22. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    sent a PM to JL for Richer's 50" St30 with 2 glasses for £699

just got an email back frok JL saying they are themselves out of stock of the 50st30

so back to the drawing board

hows the 50S30 ? dont really mind if it doesn't have 3d