Is Scart to S-Video Possible? (or even worth it?)

p3x982

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a bit of a spaz recently. Got a Sammy Series 6 and an Onkyo 605. For some reason i was under the inpression my Sony dvd player had Component out until the other day when i realised i was thinking of a player long since gone.

Anyways, i don't really want Scart leads running into the tv as i want to keep the visible cable clutter down.

The dvd player only has Scart and Composite out so to connect it to my 605 will Scart (out) to S-Video (in, back of amp) work? Or is Scart the only option until i decide to buy a new upscaling jobby that i can HDMI to the amp.

Any help on this would be marvellous,

Thanks,

RF

Scart is a physical connection type that carries many different video signals. S-Video can be carried via scart, but it all depends on the output of the source, ie the DVD player. So the only way to tell is to RTFM and see if the DVD player outputs S-Video via the scart socket.
Also are you aware that S-Video is a video only connection and so will not carry audio to the receiver or onto the display. You will need another lead to carry the audio.

Mark.

Go to the DVD player setup menu and see if it has an option to do S-VIDEO as a video output. Quite a few DVD players do, quite a few other consumer devices don't (e.g. STBs). Make sure you have an S-Video TO scart (not a scart to s-video) as these are directional cables.....
For better results invest in an RGB scart to YUV converter, or indeed a new DVD player!

You could get a scart to component convertor.

Given the price of that and the price of DVD players these days I'd be more inclined to get a new upscaling DVD player with the right outputs.

Also are you aware that S-Video is a video only connection and so will not carry audio to the receiver or onto the display. You will need another lead to carry the audio.

Mark.

Yep, already connected via Coax for the sound.

Liam @ Prog AV

Go to the DVD player setup menu and see if it has an option to do S-VIDEO as a video output. Make sure you have an S-Video TO scart (not a scart to s-video) as these are directional cables.....

Done and yes it does. Sorry to sound thick here but as i'm leaving the dvd player via Scart and entering the receiver via S-Video why do i need a lead that S-Video TO Scart? I would have thought that it was the other way around? (i'm obviously missing something here, plus the lead i'm eyeing up is switchable).

So by connecting up this way just to lose a visible cable what will i see picture wise? Pretty much the same or is the quality going to drop?

Think it was a mistake, you do indeed need a Scart to s-video cable, providing as you say the DVD player can output s-video via the Scart output.

Yep me being an idiot! Scart TO s-video

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom