1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is SATA compatible with good old IDE ATA

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wyerd, Nov 19, 2003.

1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm looking at upgrading my mobo to an ABIT AN7 but I'd like to use some of my old h/w such as the 120G Seagate. Would I be able to use this ATA drive with this mobo?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I believe you can get SATA->ATA convertors, small circuit-board like components you plug into the drive and plug the cable into on the other side, but they're not generally recommended for performance reasons.

Does your proposed mobo only support SATA? My ASUS and Gigabyte boards which support SATA also have the usual twin IDE ports.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    basically the adaptors turn an sata drive into an ata one. You won't get the sata access speed any more.
    You can also get adaptors that work the other way ata to sata ( have one knocking about somewhere) , again you don't get the speed increase of an sata drive this way but it will work at ata speeds.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    better off getting a EIDE PCI card

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    If you get the Abit board it may come with the Serille adaptor from SATA to ide. There is no significant performance hit using this. However, you have to have the SATA drivers loaded on the IDE drive BEFORE attaching through the SATA header. Otherwise the MS OS's can't see the HDD. Try it, and if doesn't work go for a an IDE PCI riser.

6. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having looked at the spec of this board on the abit website, it looks like the board has both udma (ide) and SATA headers.

On that basis, I think that wyerd is asking if he can use the SATA controller and the udma controller at the same time.

There isn't a manual for the AN7 available for download on the site, but there is a support forum. Might be worth heading over there to see if anyone knows the answer.

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    You can use the IDE and SATA headers at the same time. Just make sure you set it up in the bios correctly. If you're worried about the procedure go to the ABIT forum as the guy above suggests as they're very helpful.

8. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for all the answers. I just want to use my current IDE hard disk until such time I decide to go SATA.