Is Samsung AV-R710 HDMI 1.3?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by befcasr, Jun 9, 2008.

1. befcasr

befcasr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi does anybody know if the Samsung AV-R710 supports HDMI 1.3? I have just bought a new 52" LCD TV and would like to know what setup will give me the best picture and sound quality. Should I........

a) Output the video from my PS3 (basically my blu-ray player) directly to my TV with an HDMI 1.3 cable. Then output the sound from the PS3 to the amp via Optical cable.

or

b) Output the video and audio from my PS3 with an HDMI 1.3 cable to the amp and then into the TV with another HDMI 1.3 cable.

I'm guessing that b) would be the best option if the AV-R710 supports HDMI 1.3 but I can't seem to find this out.

If anyone can offer any advice on the setup or the HDMI 1.3 issue then it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

befcasr

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    You can download the manual HERE. If you do a search there are a couple of threads on it dating back to 2007. I think it supports LPCM over HDMI, so you would need to connect your PS3 up via HDMI in order to get HD audio.

3. befcasr

befcasr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, although I already own this player and searched through the manual only to find no mention of what HDMI version it supported. I presume the amp supports 1080p output but again I can find no mention of this in the manual, does anybody know if it does support 1080p?

I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to the new Sony STR-DG820 when it comes out but not sure if it will be worth the £230. If my Samsung supports HDMI v1.3 and also 1080p output then i'm guessing the only advantage of the upgrade will be for TrueHD sound. I'll just have to wait till I can get my setup up and running to try out the 1080p on the AV-r710 for myself.

If anyone has any thoughts on this then please let me know.

befcasr

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Which 1.3 features are you actually interested in?

It is a reasonable question because there are few devices around that actually use the full capabilities of 1.3a or 1.3b so if you explain exactly what you are trying to get with the 1.3 support it might be easier to answer the question helpfully.

5. befcasr

befcasr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to make sure i'm not losing any quality by going through the amp and not directly to the TV. I was under the impression that HDMI v1.3 was the only type of HDMI that could support TrueHD sound. I know that my amp doesn't suport any of the HD Audio formats, but I read somewhere that the PS3 can decode TrueHD audio into PCM without the loss of quality. Is this correct? If it is then would it require a HDMI v1.3 cable to support this? Im also not sure whether older versions of HDMI support 24p Blu-ray material and i'm equally unsure as to whether my amp can support 24p pass-through?

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    There is no such thing as a HDMI v1.3 cable (trust me on this one), they have recently been changed to cat 1 and cat 2 which are speed ratings. See bluejeanscable.com and hdmi.org for FAQs. Pretty much every cable will support 1080p etc. at short lengths so don't worry about the cable specs if it's only 1.0m etc. It's only on long runs to projectors and so on where you might find the cable cannot handle 1080p. If you have the amp, then simply set your source to 1080p and if the signal gets there, bingo it's worked. Yes, if your source and display are v1.3 and the amp is only v1.1 or v1.2 then the path will drop down to the next version but this has nothing to do with the cable. As Mark has already stated, there is very little out there to take advantage of the extra bandwidth that v1.3 requires and I have yet to hear of any 'deep colour' source material. TBH, don't worry about it, just enjoy the games and the movies! :) If the amp doesn't support 1080p and you can see a vast difference between 720p/1080i/1080p when connected directly (EDIT - just reread the start of the post and noticed you have a 52" TV, so I guess yes would be the answer!! ;) ), then maybe consider an upgrade. As the PS3 can only output lossless audio (LPCM) over HDMI, you have to use HDMI therefore if your amp does support LPCM (which I'm sure it does when I read the manual yesterday) then connect up and enjoy the lossless audio. Whether you need a new amp for HD audio formats is debatable and TBH, a lot of people are falling for it only to realise that in a lot of cases, particularly at the budget end, it isn't that much of a leap forward everyone had hoped for. Yes, on some discs it may be more apparent but to get the biggest improvement in sound, you will achieve more gains by improving acoustics and the speakers. If someone is buying an AV receiver for the first time, I would recommend going down the HD audio route, as at some point someone will mention it and they'll only feel they need to upgrade a few months down the line. Amp technology changes every 2 years or so but I personally don't feel the need to change my amp everytime they stick a new badge on the front. If you're happy with the sound, stick with it, if not, get out and demo and make sure you can hear the difference before spending money on a costly upgrade. Happy viewing!! :)

7. befcasr

befcasr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers dave thanks for your help! I think i'll just stick with this amp for now then as i haven't had any problems with it. I'll be able to test my setup for the first time tomorrow so i'll see how things go. Fingers crossed that 1080p signal gets through, although i'm not holding out much hope for the 24p material.