1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is RPTV for me ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by yahkjr, Jul 9, 2004.

1. yahkjr

yahkjr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current TV, a 10+ year old Panasonic TX-29AD1DP, is starting to play up, taking on a a red hue amongst other things.

Looking at the prices of RPTVs and 32+ CRT TVs I was thinking of taking the plunge and getting an RPTV but I am not sure if an RPTV would suit my viewing habits.

My TV usage is:

1. Analogue terrestrial TV. I assume I am in a strong signal area as my brother has tested his freeview box on my set a couple of times and he just plugs it in and it works, no adjusting or changing the ariel.

2. Analogue satellite TV. I have and old Amstrad SRD400 which I use to watch Eurosport and motor racing on the German channels (Honest :D ).

3. I have a number of films on video which I watch on a regular basis.

Is a RPTV going to handle this OK, in terms of a decent picture, or are they designed more for digital (freeview, satellite and DVD) signals?

In the near future I may buy a DVD player.

Over to the experienced in the forum.

TIA,

Kenneth.

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RPTVs are no good for analogue broadcasts, not very good at all.

I used to have a Toshiba 57" and analogue broadcasts looked terrible.

I would choose the 32" CRT instead.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Look ahead and go for the RP.

Don't just base it what you have now.

Some even have intergrated freeview tuners (IDTV/DVB) so you may not have to rely on analog broadcasts.

4. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    My 44 inch RPTV is fine for Analogue. I prefer the analogue picture over the digital picture on low bit rate channels ie BBC & ITV on freeview / sky have to much compression where as Analogue is fine. This of course relies on you having a good analogue feed. I'm sure others will tell you the same. Where in the country are you

5. yahkjr

yahkjr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input.

As for my location, I am in Linlithgow, 12 miles West of Edinburgh, served by the Blackhill transmitter I think.

Would it serve any purpose for me to take a my VCR and couple of tapes along to the local Currys/Comet and test the RPTV picture?

Kenneth.

6. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    VCR and this size set do not go well together. SVHS is bearable but any thing else just isn't going to cut the mustard. The reason for location was for you to come and see my RPTV in action but we are miles away!

7. yahkjr

yahkjr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

scooby do, it's the thought that counts.

Thanks,

Kenneth.

8. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Much better to check out the TV's with a DVD!

Your VCR will probably look the same (lousy!) on them all.

Another problem to bear in mind is that viewing conditions in the shop will be completely different to those at home (unless you live in a shop! :laugh: )

Also don't fall into the trap of viewing too close. :lesson:

Most people stand right in front of the display in a shop, where they see every little picture problem.

Good luck with your assessments. :thumbsup:

9. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    also remember that a RPTV will need setting up. Convergence & focus will both need optimising within your home. If you can do this yourself then don't hold back go out and get yourself one if not then you may be asking for trouble. Many retailers do not have any real engineers who have a clue about these things. Even if they did they probably would not have enough time to set it up any where near its optimal settings so best to resort to doing it yourself. There is a lot of satisfaction to DIY as well.

10. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A CRT RPTV takes alot of energy and time to get perfect, i think i spent more time calibrating it than enjoying watching movies....

They have their drawbacks and they need attention to perform good, it's not like just sit and watch if you buy it.

Constant struggle getting perfect convergence and geometry, always hunting for the peak of picture quality......

11. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i owned a toshiba 40" rptv for 3 years and don't understand some of the earlier comments of "a lot of energy and time to get perfect" and "asking for trouble with convergance and focus" i checked the convergance every couple of months which a 4 year old could do and was well pleased with the picture quality.not one person who viewed it ever commented it was'nt good enough,and without doubt some of them would have (even women liked it). also my main viewing is on analogue.

i have just purchased the sony kp44px3 (1055 quid)it was in my room all connected and set up in 20min,it has auto convergance built in.

the picture quality is amazing i was gobsmacked that it is even better than my 40" tosh especially with the larger screen(also viewed on analogue).my mate has just bought the sony Lcd rptv and the picture isn't as good and he paid a grand more.

you would prabably notice the poor quality of video recordings (excuse to upgrade to dvd/hdd recorder)due to size of screen,your only consideration is viewing distance i am about 12ft away from the screen.

so don't be put off about difficulty in setting up i have honestly never had a problem.