Is Rotel any good?

Helix Hifi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello! It has been awhile since I’ve listed to Rotel.

A few questions never the less.

1: Are Rotel stable, or do they have any issues?

2: If I wanna try out the 1572 amplifier from Rotel, can I then just use the analog inputs, digital inputs and not bother with the Lan port or must I download the drivers to a laptop of some kind? As mentioned I do believe it just needs to be connected to the Ethernet if I wanna stream music online from the amplifier.

I well use my Node2i as my dedicated streamer.

By the latter I’m thinking of if it needs to be connected to the
Ethernet, WiFi to work properly? Get sound from the speakers? I can’t imagine it needs to.

3: Does it get hot to touch?

4: Does it support pre out ( Ht Pass) and pre amplifier options? I’m thinking about using a subwoofer, AVR amplifier in the future.

It is not certain, but perhaps it is time to try something new.

I do belive @BlueWizard has the Rotel amplifier I am mentioning in this post. So I am hoping if anyone can share their experiences.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
It's on this list of HT Bypass amps.

It's on this list of HT Bypass amps.

Thanks. I guess I don’t need to enable the Ethernet function since I well use the Node2i for streaming from Spotify?

It also has two mono output for subwoofer connections.

Exactly what does that mean?

Connect two subwoofers?

You see I use the Marantz PM8006 at the moment, and perhaps I want some more grunt/drive to the music.

Marantz does that fairly good, it is just that on some recordings I feel that the vocals are a bit behind the soundstage.

It could be fun to try something else.

And it seems that Rotel are about to release new models, so perhaps there is some money saved.

But unfortunately here in Norway that is usually not the case.

@Helix Hifi why have you put a question about Rotel amps in the 'Speakers' section?
A mistake from me.

Any comments regarding Rotel?

It seems there is a new model out right now; Rotel 1572 MK2.

I had a dreadful time with their customer service last year on a faulty 1575 amp that just kept cutting out. Support was slow and hopeless even allowing for COVID delays. Dreadful experience and I’d never buy again.

I have had the Rotel A14 amp along with the matching CD14 model and I had no problems or issues whatsoever. I would thoroughly recommend Rotel as a brand, particularly the CD players. It was only because I wanted to move to a one-box solution (Cyrus Lyric) that I sold on all my separates to save space.

rotel amps sound: okeish, but uninspiring and a little bit dull and dry...noting to write home about...some cynics will say, everything what is wrong with solid state amp sound :)

I do have a Rotel 1570, the previous version of the newer 1572. I've not had any problems, I haven't tried USB, but I run my TV through the Optical Input and it works just fine. The only other things I have connect are a Turntable and a CD Player.

The Rotel did come with a CD that had USB driver on it, but this is an older model.

The one thing I don't like is that it has Digital Tone Controls. You have to go into the Menu and make your adjustments there. Personally, I would rather have Bass and Treble Dials, but that is really a small point as I don't use Tone Controls very often.

Clean smooth sound, I really can't find anything to complain about. I've had mine since about 2014.

From what I can understand, the 1572 Network connection is not for Music, it is for Software updates. I have heard that with 3rd Party software you can get the Network working for Music, but I have never been able to get anyone to confirm that. So, I wouldn't count on it.

EDITED: for the record with my speaker combination, using two separate amps, I have been able to peak above 110dB for movies (the Hobbit). The SPL Meter I was using pegged at 110dB, so I can't be sure how high it really was. So, the underlying power is there.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
I had a dreadful time with their customer service last year on a faulty 1575 amp that just kept cutting out. Support was slow and hopeless even allowing for COVID delays. Dreadful experience and I’d never buy again.
My amplifier cuts out during music playing, epically trough coax. Also Bluetooth is unstable.

Trough coax I can hear an audible click, then silence. Then it plays music again. So one second it’s gone, then sound again.

First one had displays problems, plus loud audible click when a new song started on Bluetooth. Also transformer hum from the amplifier itself.

Really thought the second one was better. Every one can be unlucky, but two amplifiers.
So two amplifiers... Never again.

Yes, really sad. Sad indeed. This amplifier is not cheap.

You see I use the Marantz PM8006 at the moment, and perhaps I want some more grunt/drive to the music.

Marantz does that fairly good, it is just that on some recordings I feel that the vocals are a bit behind the soundstage.

It could be fun to try something else.

And it seems that Rotel are about to release new models, so perhaps there is some money saved.

But unfortunately here in Norway that is usually not the case.

I'm not sure if your problem is with your Marantz amplifier Helix. I came across one of your earlier posts regarding the new Node N130 being "boring sounding". I have also noticed this lately and assumed wrongly it was lack of drive and dynamics from my rather warm sounding amp/speaker combination - Denon PMA1600/Elac DBR62's.
I've been using the Node almost exclusively for the last 4-5 Months for my music needs (Laziness on my part) and keep feeling it is lacking something, then the other night I decided dust off my CD player (to make sure it still works really) and played the Santana Supernatural CD and immediately noticed there was far more attack and dynamics in the music compared with the Node streaming the same album.

I then started playing other CD titles like Sting and Tracy Chapman and again the attack and dynamics were all there but much less so when playing the same albums on the Node, so I gather from this the new Node is not particularly dynamic sounding (A little grey and flat sounding actually) so if your are using it most of the time for your music needs I suspect this is the problem and not your amp.
I see also you are still using spotify instead of a Hi Res streaming service which is probably not helping matters either.
Since discovering this I have started to run the Node through my Cambridge CXU DAC (Wolfson's) and this has really helped so I suspect a Better DAC/OPAMP combination is the answer to getting the best performance from the Node.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed. I have changed my amplifier recently. Bought the Marantz PM8006, again😊. The last two years I’ve owned it was stable as rock. No Rotel nonsense! Now the Node N130 sounds fabulous, this is not say I am considering new separate DAC. It has to probably need to be Topping then. E90, or D90. I believe they are called.

There are more cheaper options too. But in the long run it can be too much. I also notice the Marantz does not sound as bright as it did last time I owned it. Now it’s super smooth. Triangle is nuanced, articulate but not too bright. Neil Young harmonica sounds natural.

Probably the MA silver 300 is perhaps properly broken in, or the new Node is warmer sounding. Which I of course notice it is. But as mentioned now it’s fine.
It’s funny how the brain/ears gets used to different sound approach. Yes, the Rotel is mighty powerful.

PM 8006 does not have the same amount of current, however it’s fuller sounding in the bass, midrange. Also have this romantic midrange, treble.

And in hindsight 70 watts enough. The Marantz is measured to 100 watts, so it has full control over my speakers. I also notice the Marantz has lot more gain from the volume control. This is something which I find odd. Of course Rotel is also very, very loud. However Marantz in someways louder, fuller sound. I didn’t know I missed this so much.

The Rotel is cleaner, more dynamic sounding. Leaner bass with more bass impact. Still Marantz isn’t far behind. Still the Rotel should last 4 months. Christ it’s annoying. When an amplifier begins to click
using the onboard DAC, then clearly there is something fundamentally wrong with it.

The Rotel is also flat sounding if you use the analog connections, hence the Node gets unfair comparisons. The Rotel amplifier sounds best using the digital connections. Nothing wrong with this I suppose, still bit annoying. I also notice sometimes I do not get any sound from the optical connections. No sound at all. This why I’ve changed to coax. I’ve tried different coax cables to remedy the clicks, but no success. Optical works from the Apple TV, not from the Node streamer.

Quite frankly mysterious. Optical cables are in working order, same with the hifi kit. I have come to the conclusion the Rotel amplifier is very sensitive. But I had to let it go. Most likely it’s going to develop more faults in the future.
I notice the Marantz amplifier is more silent then Rotel. Rotel makes loud thump when I switch it on. Marantz relay switches are much more quit. I don’t know if the Rotel got worse over time. I don’t think I can remember it is was this noisy.

This perhaps is because it’s made in China, whereas Marantz is made in Japan. I do believe it matters to some degree. Still there are many good hifi eq from China too. I fell Rotel takes a lot shortcuts. The only priority is the power supply, the rest is not as important. Now I fell I bit stupid telling @dadneedshifi he should buy the same Rotel as me. I believe I was very, very uncle. Such is life I guess.

Speaking of amplifiers with out DAC. I’m kicking myself why I didn’t buy Yamaha AS1200 instead of Rotel. I cannot afford it now. It is more expensive now. Same with Denon 1600 NE, Denon 1700 NE. The latter have not gotten more expensive, if my memory is correct. I find it more and more difficult to find classic amplifiers. I sincerely hope the brands mentioned above still caters to people who doesn’t want streaming, DAC build in. Rather rely on an separate DAC, streamer.
I sincerely hope other Rotel owners don’t have the same issues as me. I strongly suggest they listing to optical, coax to see if the amplifier behaves oddly. Also Bluetooth. Analog works fine. But what’s the point then. The only other amplifiers which behaved odd back in the day is NAD. After few months, issues.

Ps, did you listen to the same master? When comparing cd vs streaming

Last edited:
@Kapkirk have you listen to Denon 1700NE. Not listen to 1600NE in my listing , but in the store. Had the impression it resembles Marantz, but more forward bass, midrange without being fatigue in the long run.

Want to listen to the new 1700 model.

Really want the Denon 2500NE. Or Yamaha AS1200. Anyway the Rotel is going back to the dealer. Never again!

Thanks. I guess I don’t need to enable the Ethernet function since I well use the Node2i for streaming from Spotify?

It also has two mono output for subwoofer connections.

Exactly what does that mean?

Connect two subwoofers?
The weak link is Spotify can't you find a better source?

The weak link is Spotify can't you find a better source?
I’ve changed the amplifier. If this what you mean. I don’t hear that much difference between Spotify etc.

If the mastering is different. Then I can hear massive difference. As example early 80’s Dire Straits cds. Spotify sound more or less the same if they use the same master. Which to me is something people forget when comparing cd vs Spotify etc.

If they use an entirely different master on cd, then of course the sound is going to be different. MQA is not for me, even though the Node is more expensive because of MQA.

If people can hear sound difference, then that’s okey. The reason I use Spotify as my primary listing source, is because of the web interface. Apple is clunky, same with Tidal. Qubez I haven’t listened to.

@Kapkirk have you listen to Denon 1700NE. Not listen to 1600NE in my listing , but in the store. Had the impression it resembles Marantz, but more forward bass, midrange without being fatigue in the long run.

Want to listen to the new 1700 model.

Really want the Denon 2500NE. Or Yamaha AS1200. Anyway the Rotel is going back to the dealer. Never again!

There is no question the 2500ne and Yamaha AS1200 are fine amps for sure and with excellent Japanese reliability, I still have a Yamaha AVR that I bought in 2004, still works perfectly, and so far no issues with my Denon PMA1600NE (Had nearly 2 years now and used almost every day)
The 1600NE and its newer incarnation the 1700NE have been described as 90% of the 2500NE in terms of sound quality which doesn't surprise me.

I checked out the new Denon PMA1700NE against the older 1600NE and the only differences I can see are a redesigned volume control for more precision and a HT bypass input, both these updates will be very welcome improvements. I think the rest of the design seems pretty much unchanged from the last one so would imagine it would sound roughly the same, and where else can you get an amplifier with this kind of quality AND with tone controls these days, the midrange is absolutely beautiful on the 1600NE and the treble sublime, then plenty of guts when you push it hard without it sounding aggressive.

I think you have been unlucky with the Rotel, maybe the build quality isn't the same as it used to be. However I do like the way Rotel do things with their excellent power supplies and versatility.

TBH I was getting a bit confused with your posts, 1 minute you were posting about your Rotel then another post you were talking about your Marantz so a bit hard to keep up, but the main thing is you seem reasonably happy with the Marantz for now.
I am very surprised you say you can't hear the difference between spotify and a CD or other Hi Res streaming, even with my 60 year old ears and modest priced speakers the difference is very noticeable, so much so that I rarely use spotify anymore, after using qobuz for so long, spotify just sounds poor to me especially against a well recorded CD.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed. I have changed my amplifier recently. Bought the Marantz PM8006, again😊. The last two years I’ve owned it was stable as rock. No Rotel nonsense! Now the Node N130 sounds fabulous, this is not say I am considering new separate DAC. It has to probably need to be Topping then. E90, or D90. I believe they are called.

There are more cheaper options too. But in the long run it can be too much. I also notice the Marantz does not sound as bright as it did last time I owned it. Now it’s super smooth. Triangle is nuanced, articulate but not too bright. Neil Young harmonica sounds natural.

Probably the MA silver 300 is perhaps properly broken in, or the new Node is warmer sounding. Which I of course notice it is. But as mentioned now it’s fine.
It’s funny how the brain/ears gets used to different sound approach. Yes, the Rotel is mighty powerful.

PM 8006 does not have the same amount of current, however it’s fuller sounding in the bass, midrange. Also have this romantic midrange, treble.

And in hindsight 70 watts enough. The Marantz is measured to 100 watts, so it has full control over my speakers. I also notice the Marantz has lot more gain from the volume control. This is something which I find odd. Of course Rotel is also very, very loud. However Marantz in someways louder, fuller sound. I didn’t know I missed this so much.

The Rotel is cleaner, more dynamic sounding. Leaner bass with more bass impact. Still Marantz isn’t far behind. Still the Rotel should last 4 months. Christ it’s annoying. When an amplifier begins to click
using the onboard DAC, then clearly there is something fundamentally wrong with it.

The Rotel is also flat sounding if you use the analog connections, hence the Node gets unfair comparisons. The Rotel amplifier sounds best using the digital connections. Nothing wrong with this I suppose, still bit annoying. I also notice sometimes I do not get any sound from the optical connections. No sound at all. This why I’ve changed to coax. I’ve tried different coax cables to remedy the clicks, but no success. Optical works from the Apple TV, not from the Node streamer.

Quite frankly mysterious. Optical cables are in working order, same with the hifi kit. I have come to the conclusion the Rotel amplifier is very sensitive. But I had to let it go. Most likely it’s going to develop more faults in the future.
I notice the Marantz amplifier is more silent then Rotel. Rotel makes loud thump when I switch it on. Marantz relay switches are much more quit. I don’t know if the Rotel got worse over time. I don’t think I can remember it is was this noisy.

This perhaps is because it’s made in China, whereas Marantz is made in Japan. I do believe it matters to some degree. Still there are many good hifi eq from China too. I fell Rotel takes a lot shortcuts. The only priority is the power supply, the rest is not as important. Now I fell I bit stupid telling @dadneedshifi he should buy the same Rotel as me. I believe I was very, very uncle. Such is life I guess.

Speaking of amplifiers with out DAC. I’m kicking myself why I didn’t buy Yamaha AS1200 instead of Rotel. I cannot afford it now. It is more expensive now. Same with Denon 1600 NE, Denon 1700 NE. The latter have not gotten more expensive, if my memory is correct. I find it more and more difficult to find classic amplifiers. I sincerely hope the brands mentioned above still caters to people who doesn’t want streaming, DAC build in. Rather rely on an separate DAC, streamer.
I sincerely hope other Rotel owners don’t have the same issues as me. I strongly suggest they listing to optical, coax to see if the amplifier behaves oddly. Also Bluetooth. Analog works fine. But what’s the point then. The only other amplifiers which behaved odd back in the day is NAD. After few months, issues.

Ps, did you listen to the same master? When comparing cd vs streaming
I’ve got no problems with the amp. Really love your recommendation, actually.

I did find that I didn’t like the Node, so I switched to the iFi stream and just use my phone or whatever I’m using at the moment.

I typically stream from Apple Music or Tidal and love the result.

If the Rotel didn’t begin to have strange issues, I could easily live with it. Check and see if the amplifier clicks during music playback trough coax, if it doesn’t then it’s all good.

I also noticed mine begun to click if new song started trough Bluetooth. I well never buy Rotel again! I should have read the online complaints online. Many have similar issues like I had.

If the Rotel didn’t begin to have strange issues, I could easily live with it. Check and see if the amplifier clicks during music playback trough coax, if it doesn’t then it’s all good.

I also noticed mine begun to click if new song started trough Bluetooth. I well never buy Rotel again! I should have read the online complaints online. Many have similar issues like I had.

Noticed the clicking through bluetooth on the Rotel Tribute amp I tried a while back, so maybe that's normal for the Rotel even though it's a bit annoying. You can of course use the Bluetooth through the Node which does not have that issue. Clicking on songs through digital coax does not sound normal tho, maybe it has something to do with the way the Rotel handles different data rates, maybe someone can enlighten us.

I also noticed this clicking coming from my 1572 pre amp while listening to Tidal. I eventually found out that, having given Tidal permission in the Tidal settings, to remotely control the amp for the best reproduction and keeping the volume linear. The amp was reacting to the information in the signal recieved. The amp allowed the computer to decode if it was an MQA file, the computer unpacked it using Tidal software, again adjusted to do the decoding of high bit Flac files utilizing its own internal DAC. The intricacies im not really quite sure of yet. Maybe ten years down the line I'll get to grips with it. The bit setting is changed automatically (the clicking, obviously a relay opening/closing circuitry) if the quality varied, anything between 44.1 to 48 hz to highest I've seen so far of 96hz when listening to MQA files (master files Tidal calls them.) This setting can be changed to manua,l however, by selecting a higher setting than normally encountered on your playlist or your files. Just a thought.

It is strange amplifier... Yes, it’s relay switch design DAC. However if the amplifier clicks every time the data signal changes, that can’t be great for the amplifier in the long run.

I tried every setting, nothing worked.

Anyway it’s long gone. Cold sounding for me also.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom