1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Ring Scary?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by skimber, May 15, 2002.

?
  1. It is a vastly over-rated pile of cack and Scooby-Doo is scarier

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Not scary in the slightest

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Slightly creepy

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Average scaryness level

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. I had to hide behind the sofa

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. I had nightmares for weeks and no i'm in psychiatric care!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It amazes me how many people think that Ring is a scary film, am I alone in my opinion that it is vastly over-rated rubbish?

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    Nope.
    I've had scarier baths.

3. david plunkett

david plunkett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree it isnt scarey all the way through, but ther are scarey bits in it, like in the first one when she comes out the telly, and the in the second one when shes climbing the well after the lass, I think eerie is a better word than scarey for it, I think it was scarier than the others.

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had to turn it off after the first 15 mins . i just could not cope with this film at all

not becouse it was scary (i have seen scarier tea bags) the reson i could'nt cope was that it was the most boaring lump of cack i have ever seen ,and i have watched waterworld from start to finish;)

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    Oi, leave Waterworld out of this!!!:mad:
    :D :D

6. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here... I find it so hard to work out what people see in it!!

7. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Not being elitiset or anything, but does no one anymore care how a film can build its tension over the duration of the film? Thats what Ring did and the film was word of mouth before you buffoons saw it.

Too many ppl need an 'in your face film' to appreciate it, no one wants suspense, if anyone watched Ring after the hype then you guys will never appreciate a film unless Hollywood does it with a happy ending.

IMHO anyone who thinks Ring did not scare them is missin the point, the film was NEVER promoted that way at all, in fact the promotion was mainly word of mouth. Im sure you will all find yor solace in Scream and Urban Legend and I know what you did....

8. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I have said on another thread, I'm am definately not a fan of that kind of hollywood tripe. I WANT to see films that make me think, that break moulds, that are something over and above the rubbish that is just there to sell popcorn.

Harj, I'm sorry that i'm a "Buffoon" for having an opinion that conflicts with yours. That opinion stands: Ring is one of the most boring, unsuspenseful, badly acted, overated films that i have ever seen.

I never said anything about how it was marketed, I just don't understand why so many people say it's the scariest film ever. Usually I don't comment about films I don't like... each to their own and all that... but the praise surrounding this film just completely confounds me.

Obviously i'm not going to pass comment on the people themselves who like this movie, as to degenerate into name-calling would just be pathetic. Wouldn't it Harj? :)

9. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Apologies first and formost, a friend and i were discussing this, he typed it, i missed it. Being a member for quite a while now, and having been the recipent of good advice for my queries I in no way wish to cause any offence at all. Once again sincere apologies.

As for Ring. One it puzzles me why a film released a few years ago is causing commotion now.

As for the vast majority of asian 'horror' films, you will find that many are not designed with the western audience in mind at all. None of them will have zombies/serial killers/mad teenagers with a vengance etc etc so the overall effect of asian movies intentions such building a tension, subtle plots are often lost on western audiences where we are used to a more 'in your face' horror movie.

Possibly thats why 'final fantasy' never captured that audience here as the concept of 'earth spirit' is understood by asian ppl by not so easily accpted/understood by western audiences.

IMHO the last great english language horror movies was 'The Omen' and that was a long long time ago.

10. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've only seen the first ring film (haven't yet managed to see Ring-2 or the prequel Ring-0). And I thought it was pretty scarey, especially in the moments someone would watch that cursed videotape and you know that something would happen to them. I had the lights off, the home cinema amp turned on loud, so I got into that film pretty well. Those who didn't find it scarey or suspenseful, I suppose they missed the whole point of the film. Are Ring-2 or ring-0 worth it, if I liked the first Ring film?

11. david plunkett

david plunkett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think ring 2 is better myself, havent seen ring 0 yet but have heard it is like dawsons creek.

12. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How exactly have I "missed the point"?

13. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too would like to know this .

i usualy like asian horror . i'm no good at rememering film titles so can't realy give examples . i loved final fantasy . i am a very big fan of animi.

i had'nt actualy heard that much about the film until i read about it on the forums ( after it was on). i put it on becouse i thought "asian horror great" . i was disapointed and thought it dull .

maybe if i had head all the hype then i may hae stuck it out and watched the whole thing . i don't realy see how it could have gone from what i was seeing to what some people have been descibing though .

14. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would Harj or Dr.Rock care to respond?