1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is RGB also component

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mike Freeman, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Mike Freeman

Mike Freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is RGB the same thing as component video.
    I.e can I use A Scart to RGB cable from Satalite decoder in RGB out mode to Component in on Yamha Amp. Instesd of using an RGB to SVHS converter.

2. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Mike, but the answers no...

RGB signals carry the absolute picture information together with either a separate sync or by mixing the sync in with the green signal.

Component works by sending the absolute value of one colour, then the relative difference for other colours. This is the closest representation to how video is encoded on DVD.

I'm sure that one of the other forum members can give you a more detailed view as to why RGB/Component won't mix with out conversion.

Thanks,

Leon

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mike:

You have set your question in a wierd way.
    RGb is not the same as component video. RGb as it implies is seperate red, green and blue signals, with either a composite sync or seperate horizontal and vertical syncs. (and occasionaly sync is sent down the green signal).

Component video, correct me if i'm wrong, is video minus a colour, ie not red, not green. I think...

For the rest of your question.
    Yes it is possible to route RGB through the component section of your amp, and you may also need to route a composite video for sync reasons.

If you are going HD RGB then you will need the Denon AVC A1SE, since all other amps with the componet switching can apparently not handle the bandwidth needed. (though this is unlikely due the living in the UK!)

Hope this helps!

Rick

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Mike,
    The early versions of the Quadscan could be crashed if you switch inputs too quickly. The answer was to let the image stabilise before switching to the next input.

The later versions (software version 2.15) has a fix for this.

Regards

[ 15-04-2001: Message edited by: Chris Frost ]

5. Mike Freeman

Mike Freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leon, That Quadscan scaler of yours I don't suppose you get any problems with it such as drop in brightness level or crashing when switching between Ntsc and Pal.