1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is replacing the tube on a 36" Sony a realistic possibility?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jon Weaver, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    My KV36FS70 has developed a fault which the engineer puts down to a faulty tube. They recommend that the TV is replaced as its only 6 months old.

My supplier is taking the set back to check in their workshops but they are keen to replace the tube rather than the whole TV.

I am not happy about this and am about to do battle with them...

But I wonder if it is actually possible to do a tube replacement on a TV of this size/complexitity in "workshop" (i.e not factory) conditions.

When you look at the number of settings there are under the service menus, its hard to believe that someone could set a TV up without some very specialized tools/test gear.. The sort of thing that would only be found in Sony's factories.

Has anyone ever heard of someone having a tube like this replaced and been happy with the results?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Whilst I would prefer a replacement tv in your circumstance a new tube may be sensible. Bear in mind that in the factory I understand that they have about 10 mins per set to set up the picture. In a workshop they will probably take as long as required to get it perfect as they can recharge the costs under the warranty. I would be more concerned about damage to the exterior, as I have never had a set go for repair that didn't come back with some handling damage, and to move a big TV without the packaging available to protect it is asking for trouble.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I would still be happier with a replacement.

If they do insist with a repair, I will go over the set with a fine tooth combe.

One single scratch and its going back.

I take pride in my equipment.. i don't really like the idea of it getting shipped away, unpacked, stripped, rebuilt and sent back.. Its not the way I would choose to treat my kit!

Thanks for the feedback

4. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Jon,

You may have read my posting a while back where I outlined my 8 month ongoing unsolveable TV hell struggle in getting my TV repaired (1 year out of warranty).

I got the tube replaced on my TV Sony 28 FD1E as it was apparently faulty.

I had nothing but problems with this. Took me months to get the picture any where near watchable (still not perfect). I do not trust engineers now because of this.

The tube was setup up with a wonky lop sided picture and severe discolourations. Went back to engineers a total of 6 times and yes the set has nicks and fine cracks on it.

So my advice is get a replacment if you can. It will be a whole lot less hassle in the future.

[ 30-08-2001: Message edited by: DaveH ]

[ 30-08-2001: Message edited by: DaveH ]</p>

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Ken,

Your comment couldn't have been closer to the truth, although fortuantly for me, it wasn't just small damage.

Apparantly, my TV has got to the service departement.. But its been completely destroyed!

They opened it up and found the main PCB split in half.

Atleast I get to have a new TV.. Not sure if I am lucky or not though, as this means that i might have a whole new set of problems.