Is RAP an acronym

D

Dr Diversity

Guest
My boss claims it is but then he always falls for the stuff that Snopes rejects.

I won't say what he says it stands for; tell me what you think. His explanation is not abusive by the way!
 

Garrett

Moderator
Ruddy Awful Pap.
 

overkill

Distinguished Member
Garrett said:
Ruddy Awful Pap.
:smashin: On the button there garrett...........:D

R.A.P = Rank Asinine Poseurs?
 
Sounds like your boss is regularly awfuly perplexed


I don't know about Rodney, but Diversity's boss definately is/
 
overkill said:
Poetry! I take it that is referring to the original rap music of the 50's not the nasty stuff of today?

more likely refering to muppets trying the art of finding the words to create an acronym out of what was originally just a word ..... to some how make it seem deeper and clever .... rather than comerically recorded tinitus.
 
C

chachi

Guest
Growing up in Chicago, the old git at the local record shop always said it was called rap because the music was second to the words, rap was all about the words and the beat/timing went off the rhymes, whereas pop & metal/rock was all about catchy choruses and/or riffs and everything else worked off them ... this seems to back him up too ... ( taken from http://www.answers.com/topic/rapping)

The culture of hip-hop has been the source of dozens of words and expressions in American English, of which rap is one of the most familiar. It shows up in the early 1900s in the extended meaning “to express orally,” as used by so notable a figure as Winston Churchill in 1933. Over the next few decades it came to mean “to discuss or debate informally,” a meaning that was well established in the African-American community by the late 1960s. A decade later the word was applied to an evolving style of music characterized by, among other things, beat-driven rhymes ...
 

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I believe the modern day rap is spelt with a silent "C" ;)
 

overkill

Distinguished Member
chachi said:
Growing up in Chicago, the old git at the local record shop always said it was called rap because the music was second to the words, rap was all about the words and the beat/timing went off the rhymes, whereas pop & metal/rock was all about catchy choruses and/or riffs and everything else worked off them ... this seems to back him up too ... ( taken from http://www.answers.com/topic/rapping)

The culture of hip-hop has been the source of dozens of words and expressions in American English, of which rap is one of the most familiar. It shows up in the early 1900s in the extended meaning “to express orally,” as used by so notable a figure as Winston Churchill in 1933. Over the next few decades it came to mean “to discuss or debate informally,” a meaning that was well established in the African-American community by the late 1960s. A decade later the word was applied to an evolving style of music characterized by, among other things, beat-driven rhymes ...
I've seen it referred to as that before as well. Also 'rapping' as in conversation, but in a 'sing song' manner.
 

Steve N

Distinguished Member
JohnG said:
I believe the modern day rap is spelt with a silent "C" ;)
Beat me to it :D
 

Garrett

Moderator
I remember hearing a record where in it there was a spoken part and came across as deep, meaningful and from the heart. I asked my mate (big soul fan) if he knew any more soul music with rap in them and was advised to listen to The Chi-Lites Have You Seen Her. Barry White use to rap in his recordings some times.
Rap today (almost said music then which would have been untrue) is just a repetitious beat with short sentences all ending rhyming words. Its not soul music now more like anal hole crap.
 

overkill

Distinguished Member
Garrett said:
I remember hearing a record where in it there was a spoken part and came across as deep, meaningful and from the heart. I asked my mate (big soul fan) if he knew any more soul music with rap in them and was advised to listen to The Chi-Lites Have You Seen Her. Barry White use to rap in his recordings some times.
Rap today (almost said music then which would have been untrue) is just a repetitious beat with short sentences all ending rhyming words. Its not soul music now more like anal hole crap.
:eek: Garrett! True, but does one expect that from a mod?:D
 

Garrett

Moderator
overkill said:
:eek: Garrett! True, but does one expect that from a mod?:D
Well the swear word fillter did'nt edit it so it must be OK.:D

Yes I it was quite polite realy,:rotfl:
 

Garrett

Moderator
pave said:
wikipedia said:
Country-rap is the fusion of country music with hip hop music. Perhaps to avoid the unfortunate abbreviation "c-rap," the style is known by several other names, such as "hick hop," "hill hop," "hip hopry," and "country hip hop". Cowboy Troy is the best-known performer known primarily as a country-rap artist.]
:rotfl:
 

pave

Banned
Mr.D said:
Ahem ...Johnny Cash?
Willie Nelson?
And cowboy troy....like most types of music really,but:rotfl: will try and get a listen to him......never know.....might be good:eek:
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 2nd December 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom